• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the point of volt-modding? I see many people that don't with same performanc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrazyBauxite

Registered
What is the point of volt-modding? I see many people that don't with same performanc

What is the point of volt-modding your card when it looks like it makes no difference? Only a small handful of people that posted the speed of their overclocked graphics card volt-modded their card, and they are beaten by people that didn't volt-mod, so why bother?

Volt modding your video card would allow it to get higher volts, right? Sometimes the voltage can be the thing holding back people from OCing.

Same thing applies to a CPU OC. Someone with a lower vcore can OC higher then a person who used a higher vcore, all depends on your luckiness/cooling/type of core.

Thanks for the quick response darksparkz. One more question: how do you know that you are being held back from overclocking because you didn't volt mod? What will tell you that you need to volt mod to increase your oc? Like, should i volt mod my graphics card if i overclock and see artifacts?

Hmmm...that is definatly a good question. My answer would be, you never know unless you try :). As for the artifacts, you are probly pushing your card past what your heatsink can cool. You should invest in an aftermarket one and so AS5 to keep it a little cooler. Also make sure your Ram on the card is being cooled. This will increase the headroom of your OC and keep those little artifacts away. Also, some cards just reach the maximum oc where they can go no further.
As for the volt modding, you can always flash a bios on the card with a higher voltage to your ram. It saves your from a hardmod and allows you to reflash if you see no improvements to your OC

AdvanS13 said:
and in turn you can fry your card for measly 5fps, yay wow. i think it is tarded

Thats why you aren't an Uberclocker.

mdameron said:
Would upping the voltage in your BIOS to the AGP slot make a difference in OC? (the mobo BIOS, not the video card BIOS)

Sorry, but not for the videocard. It does give more chipset voltage.

AdvanS13 said:
and in turn you can fry your card for measly 5fps, yay wow. i think it is tarded

Well gee, you can also kill your CPU & GPU from overclocking without Vmodding them...and yet we do it anyway. This isn't stockspeedforums.com. It's about pushing your hardware

I've only Vmodded 2 video cards. a x800pro. Went from about 530 on the core to 624...well worth it IMO...its now been about 18 months, still runs like a champ in my bros rig. I also vmodded my x850 a few weeks ago. Was getting around 560 on the core stock, now running it at 635, and will probably be pushing it a little harder this weekend.

If you have adequate cooling and know what your doing, it is possible to safely run your card Vmodded. Also, its done more for benchies then game performance, but I can say that I can definately tell the differance between my card at stock, and the way it is now

Back