• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going crazy finding a x2 motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eddie500

Registered
OK, I can't seem to find a motherboard for a 3800 X2 processor. As soon as I find a board where I don't read so many horror stories then I'll buy everything and have my new machine.

I was thinking about buying the DFI but then I read the following first post.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=418710

I also read other stuff about how this board is not so stable etc.

Now I"m thinking of maybe going with an MSI or an EPOX. I don't want the ASUS board.

SO What board would be a decent buy that is #1 Reliable, where I can OC my 3800 to maybe 2.5 gig. WOuld the EPOX board or the MSI board that supports X2 be a decent buy? WHat would you think?

despite dfi's reliability problems they really make a quality board. It has an awesome sound card with spdif in/out. sata 2 and raid support. All of the sockets are UV reacitive. most friendly overclocking options. If you read reviews about other nforce 4 boards dfi is always in the top 2 or 3 in basically all the categories. One of the few boards to allow up to 4v for your ram. or...
Check out the new radeon chipset, it is also designed for overclocking with a few options not available on nforce 4 boards, like 1t timing for 4 sticks of ram. but dont expect nf4 performance in all categories because there are still kinks to be worked out. anandtech.com and xbitlabs.com are good places to find reviews on these boards.

Eddie500 said:
OK, I can't seem to find a motherboard for a 3800 X2 processor. As soon as I find a board where I don't read so many horror stories then I'll buy everything and have my new machine.

I was thinking about buying the DFI but then I read the following first post.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=418710

I also read other stuff about how this board is not so stable etc.

Now I"m thinking of maybe going with an MSI or an EPOX. I don't want the ASUS board.

SO What board would be a decent buy that is #1 Reliable, where I can OC my 3800 to maybe 2.5 gig. WOuld the EPOX board or the MSI board that supports X2 be a decent buy? WHat would you think?

I think that DarkPurity is having problems with his proc. Despite what AMD says, I do not think the mobo is to blame. If it were me, I would go with DFI. Either the Ultra-d nf4, or the new crossfire board.

J.

You could get up to 2.5 on a MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum SLI with no problem. Not sure if you are looking for SLI board or AGP board????

I am starting to believe that the Abit AN8 Ultra is an attractive alternative to the DFI. Will it clock as high? No, it won't, but I think there are a lot of inherent headaches that go with the ability to clock high. It's like walking on a tightrope, it is a precarious perch where balance is everything. That balance in the DFI is a very fragile thing. Change one tiny variable and it all crashes. If your system is static, then you are fie, but how many people here operate that way. High overclocks are great, but not at the cost of long term stability. The DFI's are starting to remind me of Windows 98 where you spent as much time maintaining it as you did using it.

I was lovin' DFI until I saw one just die for no apparent or logical reason after 2 months of non overclocked stock settings. The RMA just came back so I'll see how this next board works. DFI nF4 SLI-DR.

This board has just about every possible setting you could want or ask for. I like the control but it comes with the price of carefully plotting your course and only making very small changes and waithing awhile before changing anything else to make sure it's stable.

If I were to build an SLI for myself, I'd still go with DFI.

Abit??? Over the last 4 months our company has built over 50 machines using Abit boards. At first they all seemed to be good boards, however out of the 50+ boards I have had to RMA 24 of them. The boards just failed after about a week in these machines. Maybe the AN8 will be better, I don't know. Just thought I would share my personal experience on the Abit boards. Needless to say I was really busy doing all these RMA's, it was unreal!!! Now we have a huge pile of refurb Abit boards that we cannot sell as new so they just sit there waiting for a repair to come in. Since then we have changed to Asus boards for our custom builds and not had one problem. I just know that after what I have went through with Abit, I don't think I will ever by another board from them again.

evancold said:
Abit??? Over the last 4 months our company has built over 50 machines using Abit boards. At first they all seemed to be good boards, however out of the 50+ boards I have had to RMA 24 of them. The boards just failed after about a week in these machines. Maybe the AN8 will be better, I don't know. Just thought I would share my personal experience on the Abit boards. Needless to say I was really busy doing all these RMA's, it was unreal!!! Now we have a huge pile of refurb Abit boards that we cannot sell as new so they just sit there waiting for a repair to come in. Since then we have changed to Asus boards for our custom builds and not had one problem. I just know that after what I have went through with Abit, I don't think I will ever by another board from them again.
Well, that shoots that theory! I wonder if that relates to their finacial problems or if it's something else. Asus makes solid boards, it's just that their overclocking options are so limited. I'm looking forward to a ULI board with more OC'ing options than the ASRock. That kind of board could ultimately out perform the NF4's.

I think I might buy the Epox board.. The The Epox 9NPA+
IT got good reviews and seems to be a board with less problems then the others.
The Asus has a booting problem.. which I actually built a X2 for my father and it has this problem.. I'm just reading about it now after no one knew of it a month ago.

THe DFI I was leaning at but I don't want all the hassels of overclocking it.

So the Epox board seems to be a decent board that should be fine for a 3800 X2.. Plus it got good reviews in this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2465&p=28

SO what do you think of the Epox board anyway?

I have always heard good things about Epox boards ability to OC and the Epox 9NAP+ is no exception. If you check out the Epox board here in the forum you will see complaints about a lot of dead boards. I don't know if this is coincidence or what, but I did see it there. Dead boards are a problem for every manufacturer, but too many is a bigger problem.

rseven said:
I have always heard good things about Epox boards ability to OC and the Epox 9NAP+ is no exception. If you check out the Epox board here in the forum you will see complaints about a lot of dead boards. I don't know if this is coincidence or what, but I did see it there. Dead boards are a problem for every manufacturer, but too many is a bigger problem.

Yeah just look at all those dead Abit boards from that post above.

in my experience, i could always count on ASUS for a stable, hassle free board. especially for stock users.

Thing with DFI is:
Lots of features, but...
Low quality.

I just happen to burn out my NF4-D yesterday, when I moved the 3.3V jumper to 4V (RAM voltage). :( Suppose I could try for an RMA, but I dunno if I'll be able to after the SLI mod as well as adding AS5 to the chipset.
Basically, a feature of the motherboard ended up killing it.
I didn't find out about this problem until I went to dfi-street. Apparently others have experienced the same problem. Lame.

I am sorry to here that, IWasHungry. I think dfi has just tried to put too much s*** in a five pound bag. Good luck getting it sorted out.

Eddie,

I haven't read all the posts above, but RedDragon runs this set up:
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
AMD 64 X2 4400+ Toledo/XP-120/2817MHz/1.64V

And I am waiting on the same mobo, but using a 3500+ Winnie.

Just some info for ya.

:attn:

Back