• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Ever Getting a Low Virtual Memory Error!! Increase pagefile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

my first time ever getting the above mentioned error... thats with a 1024 pagefile... and it only happened while playing F.E.A.R and running Xfire, Bitcomet, Trillian... the rest are in the background like my antivirus and anti spyware and such....

so should increase to 2GB pagefile to see if this happens again? right now im 1gb real memory 1gb virtual.

Just run your most intensive applications for a while and then monitor the PF usage using the "%usage" counter in perfmon. Then multiply the usage by 4 and set that as your initial size. The max size should be 2x the number you just calculated.

Initial - 4x
Max - 4x*2

If you do not want to use perfmon you can just use this. Just run that to find the PF usage after running a few intensive applications. Then use the same equation above to find the optimal PF usage for your RAM size and workload.

I see you have two drives. In that case I would highly suggest moving the pagefile to the least-used drive and the most-used partition on that drive. Don't create a new partition just for the pagefile. All this will do is worsen seek times to other things on the drive. You should move Photoshops scrap to it too.

Maybe even get more memory? I dont know if that would work since I dont know about the pagefile. I did however watch it go up by starting a IE explorer window, but still had plenty of memory left. I would think it would use available memory first, then goto the HD.

Back