• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 975X and SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperasus

OK I came across this article at AnandTech

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2569

The article says, "after talking with manufacturers in Taiwan, we hear that this new chipset will not support NVIDIA's SLI."

Is that really true? If it is then NVIDIA will be kissing my a** and I will switch to ATI. I’m still ****ed off that 955 doesn’t support SLI. How could they do this to us!

so just wait for the Nvidia chipset version of 975 do you really think that they are gonna let Intel have an ATI only board line come on man

If the new Nvidia chipset is anything like the one they have now……….well we all know Nvidias current chipset for Intel sucks. In fact I'm really starting to wish Nvidia never started making chipsets for Intel. If they wasn't so busy making their own chipset then maybe they would have more time to support Intel’s chipsets and we would all be better off.

i read some info not too long ago, stating "The new CPU will be combined with an upgraded 955X chipset, which will be launched under the name "975X." Compared to its predecessor, the 975X will work with a 1066 front side bus (FSB) and offer a PCIe x16 interface that can be separated into two x8 ports for dual-graphics capability."

the new cpu was regarding the newer EE's and PD's/P4's. this was from 9/12/05. also from further reading, it looks as if ati will be on board and nvidia support is open. the 975x is designed w/ a dual graphics chipset so i don't see why it won't be support if not initially, but later with a bios update. who knows, also it's not long till it's out :)

....edit: so what im saying is the capability IS there, now we need the support. obviously nvidia would want as much SLI support as possible, and seeing how this board will roxors, i'm guessing it won't be too long for confirmation.

Its not going to be possible at all. Nvidia has said many times that they have no plans to support SLI on any chipset other than their own. Xfire will be the primary method of MVPUs on Intel platforms

Well so much for my 7800GTX, should be popping up in the classifieds sometime soon. So long Nvidia. Was fun while it lasted.

Wait until nVidia releases a new chipset, we with the AMD chips know that nVidia seems to follow a pattern, for example the first nVidia chipset sucket then teh nForce2 came along and was better then any other chipset at the time, then there was the nForce3 it's first version the 150 sucked then the 250 and ultra came along that made is a little better, but now we have the nForce 4 which I have no complains.

nvidia's main profit comes from their chipsets, not their video cards, not that they'd lose any profit from not having a separate nvidia chipset for intel (NF4 intel flat out sucks), so i really don't see why they wouldn't allow intel to have their chipset support SLI

but oh well, i'm an ATI fan

Yeah true. Lets just cross our fingers and hope ATI doesn't find a way to mess it up. I'm still a little bummed about it though. I run 4 monitors and I was hoping Nvidias new drivers would let me switch SLI on and off without have to change any hardware around. ATI requires the DVI Y splitter thingy(no idea what they are calling it). At least with ATI I can activate xfire without having to open up the computer and install a connector between the two cards.

i wouldn't completely rule it out, but yes chances look slim. altough i read here at work that nvidia's support is open...basically if they want it on the 975x, intel will be more than happy to add support for it.

they didn't create the dual graphics chip for nothing, but yup, at least ati is there...even though im steering towards being an nvidia guy...i don't really care for sli or xfire, single is good for me either way ati/nvidia.

with ati helping intel with chipset backup, looks like they'll have a good relationship ahead.

Do we really want an ATI chipset on a mobo from Intel? Please, look at the ATI South Bridge now and ask yourself WTF is going on at Intel? I mean that in a big way because if you wanted super stability you went with an Intel proc and Intel Chipset. Flame on all you want to but that is the truth and if you don't believe me take my job and play with 40-50 motherboards a year.

Anyhow this really has to do with graphics so at this point I really don't know what to think. Two months ago nVidia was in talks with everyone and not I am hearing that "It ain't going to happen soon."

I can tell you one thing though, the next nVidia chipset, the X16 is going to fly when the next gen, not this next gen but the one after that comes out. Right now there is not a video card pushing the X8 PCI E bus but we are going to see next, next gen sooner than everyone thinks.

Back