• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS password

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

I recently had to re-install winXP on my laptop (compaq presario 2100). Last nite i tried to enter the BIOS and was prompted for a password. I never set a BIOS password as this is the first time I'd ever tried to enter it. Is there a standard BIOS password that compaq or windows applies maybe? I looked for a reset button on the laptop but couldn't find anything. At the moment I'm not sure where any of the documentation for it is.

You can usually find a manual on line, this may tell you how to clear the cmos. AFAIK, windows can't set bios passwords, and I don't know of a default bios password (because by default they ususally are not set to need a password).

You may have to find the battery (CMOS?) inside the laptop and remove for 30 seconds to reset everything.
Anyone else have something? Bueller?

There are some laptops(just Toshiba AFAIK) that have windows apps for manipulating the bios setting including password. That Compaq model does not have a default bios password nor does it have a windows based application. You can try searching for the cmos battery, as previously suggested. You could also try flashing the cmos with a new bios image. If these things fail you may have a bad main logic board.

If you are under warranty I would suggest bringing it in as taking laptops apart is not fun task.

i don't know about fun, but i think we are definitely the sort who like a challenge :) anyhow, i'll start searching for the cmos battery and let you all know how it works out. then hopefully someone else will have an easier time if they come across the same problem.

:cool: Ya maybe "not fun" wasn't the best way to word it as most here love this kind of a job. It is a task that requires a meticulous mind. Track the screw placement carefully, I always seem to end up with one extra screw or one screw short. Or maybe that just how people describe me.

You do have to be very careful with screws. Especially because some are different lengths, and if you get them switched, you can really screw stuff up.

edit: pun not intended.

Back