• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sell the gtx for a 512mb x1800xt when its out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatR

im trying to decide what i wanna do .. i wanna finish off my system that ive been upgrading .. i was originally gonna sell my 1 gtx when the 512mb gtx or ultra comes out and run sli .. since i play at 1920x1200 and love eve candy .. but over at xtremesystems .. some people who have x1800xts already are showing benchmarks in games that prove the x1800xt is definitely faster .. no one has run 2 in crossfire mode yet ..

i was originally gonna change from my sli-dr to the expert board for better gapping of the video cards .. but now i dont know .. the dfi crossfire board looks promising ..

what is the difference between the way nvidia sli works as opposed to ati's crossfire .. im confused :bang head

yeah ive heard though there is 2 coming out .. one is a higher clocked 512mb gtx .. the other is a 90nm ultra .. ????

any idea on when the 512 is due out .. ??

yeah .. i hate waiting .. at least an announcement from nvidia would be nice since the 512 xt is due out soon

every time im not on the forum i say to myself "i don't need more than this gtx, i can wait a year until my next upgrade". then i see threads like this, and thoughts of an ultra go running through my head. and without question, im getting it. /turn off the computer; aaaaah i don't need an ultra.

yes it would .. i wanna go sli .. but not if they are gonna release a 512mb higherclocked gtx .. i would just wait .. sell my gtx and get them in sli

The difference between ATI's crossfire and Nvidia's SLI is this: Nvidia's is better. ATI's crossfire produces a logarithmic increase in performance while Nvidia's SLI produces an exponential increase in performance. In other words, the increase that SLI produces is much much better. Also for ATI's crossfire you have to buy one crossfire board and one non-crossfire board, while for SLI you just need 2 of the same boards.

CrazyBauxite said:
The difference between ATI's crossfire and Nvidia's SLI is this: Nvidia's is better. ATI's crossfire produces a logarithmic increase in performance while Nvidia's SLI produces an exponential increase in performance. In other words, the increase that SLI produces is much much better. Also for ATI's crossfire you have to buy one crossfire board and one non-crossfire board, while for SLI you just need 2 of the same boards.

This is offset by the fact that for SLI you need to make a customized driver (or have one provided) for the game in order for it to work, with crossfire it will work with any game and any application right out of the box.

yeah i know .. i just cant make up my mind anymore .. sli or crossfire .. the dfi crossfire board is getting some nice results .. so you cant just run 2xx1800xt's 512mb ???

can u even run an nvidia card on a crossfire board ?

im tempted to buy a cooler for my gtx .. since the stock one is loud .. but im not gonna if i dont plan on keeping it

i doubt an sli card would work on a crossfire board but yuo never know and yea wait for nvidia it's a pain waiting i know i hate it but ive learnt my lesson.... Nvidia are better! lol

You should be able to run a single nvidia card on a crossfire board, as it will see it as a normal PCI-E videocard, however you won't be able to run 2 cards in SLI mode.

i guess ill wait and see some more impressions with the dfi crossfire board and see what people say who run 512mb 1800xt

techincally though .. it would be cheaper to just buy a 2nd bfg 7800gtx .. put stasis coolers on them .. and just get the expert board when it comes out .. or switch over to like the asus 16x board .. i mean if i get a 2nd gtx .. will that still allow me to play all my games at 1920x1200 for the next 6 months or so ? or even year ? cuZ im thinking of just skipping the 7800 series refresh with 512mb and just wait for the g80 .. which would prolly be announced in the summer .. i mean my system is pretty decent i would think

and the next time ill do a major upgrade would be for socket m2 and ddr2 ..

the only thing i would need to do to finish this system is another gtx .. and maybe an x2 or something

also with 512mb of vmem really make a HUGE difference ?

512mb of vram makes no difference in games right now but, there was a few things saying that COD 2 ran better with 512mb of vram

Back