• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptors on the loose

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

my054runner

This may be a really dumb question to some but before I fried my new Raptors. I had them hooked up in a way I thought was kind of odd. When I ordered from Monarch, I also ordered these special cables, found here. Am I correct in assuming that I still need power plug into the Molex connector of those drives since this thing is blocking the sata power connector or does it get power through the cable?

Depends on the harddrive if its the old style 4 pin connector. Also if you PSU has a plug for it because its a special power conncetor just for Sata drives. My Maxtor needed the special plug in and didnt have a 4 pin connector, but my Raptor did.

you use either one power connector or the other - either the SATA power connector, or the 4-pin molex, not both

i've seen em before - its just something to prevent the SATA cable from falling out of the drive & locking up the computer

Ok I finally got the replacements. Any reason though that these dirves show up as removable ones? I have never had that happen before on SATA. It scares me cuz my gf who is the main daytime user clicks whatever pops up and I dont want her hosing the thing while im at work.

Optimize for Quick Removal seems to be the root of the problem.

Start > Run > compmgmt.msc

Expand Device Manager. Expand Disk Drives. Right click on the drive > Properties. Select the Policies Tab and make sure Optimize for Performance and Enable Write Caching are enabled. You will likely have to reboot following this change.

my054runner said:
Ok I finally got the replacements. Any reason though that these dirves show up as removable ones? I have never had that happen before on SATA. It scares me cuz my gf who is the main daytime user clicks whatever pops up and I dont want her hosing the thing while im at work.

The reason they show up as removeable is because SATA was designed with hotswap capabilities in mind, which is pretty awesome. Do what Xaotic says and you'll be set.

Back