• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Check around about the upper XPs, my XP3000 will not OC more than a 100 mhz. Ive tried several tweeks to get it there but settled on stock speeds with tight timings(2-2-2-7). Harlam357 reccomends the mobiles if you want to OC.

What you upgrade to depends on how much you have to spend. If you are on a budget of around $100 or so, go for a mobile XP-M since it should work fine in your present mobo. If you have a bigger budget than that, then I would say to go look in the classified section here and pick up that DFI NF3 250Gb board for sale for $75 shipped. That's a great overclocking board and a darn good price for it. For a processor, you can either look in the classified or get a mobile A64 3000+ from e-wiz.com for $113 and an XP90 from SVC for $28. This would give you a high performance, relatively cheap upgrade to your present system and you can still use your 9800 Pro vid card. The later CG stepping Clawhammer mobiles are good overclocking procs too. I have one running at 2650 MHz and it is a fast machine. There's not a hell of an upgrade path for socket 754, but you argue the same for socket 939 too, since AMD will be changing to the socket M2 next year that will use DDR2 memory.

I you're not oc'ing, the XP3200+ will out perform the sempron. If you are going to OC it I'd strongly recommend the XP-M. I've built at least 8 rigs using similar to sig rig # 3. The worst does 200x11.5 and the best 200x13. Most of these rigs run 24/7 in an office environment without problems. I've had a bit better luck with XP-M 2600+s than the XP-M 2500+. Most of the rigs are built with Corsair PC3200 Value Series Ram which doesn't have a lot of headroom above 200 MHz.

@ AC
If your XP3000 is on a NF2 chipset, it will have higher memory bandwidth and better stability with tRAS set at 10 or 11 rather than 7. Anandtechs testing has shown the NF2 chipset to work best with tRAS of 11, NF3 at 10, and NF4 at 9. They've also determined higher tRAS to have the same effect on DDR2 systems. In any event minimum tRAS should be CAS latency + tRCD +2.

Back