• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help needed! 6600GT Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyXP3200

Registered
hey! I just installed the msi 6600gt, got into windows fine, then i installed the VGA drivers from a supplied cd and it started flickering all over the screen. it's running very unstable and i barely get into windows, it failed to load windows a couple of times and a blue screen popped up "error nv4.disp is looping" something like that. I uninstalled the drivers, searched for "nv4" and deleted all the files that i could, (some of em i couldn't delete) it won't stop flickering, it's like static or glitches.

I haven't tried the latest drivers cuz internet doesn't work on that computer (ip conflict) need to reinstall windows, but i want the GFX card to work first.

What should i do ?

Curious, why do you want to go through the trouble of getting this to work, then re-install Windows?

Download latest Forceware on the computer you used to post this, burn to disc, or copy to flash, and install it.

What OS?

Did you try to re-seat your Vid Card?

Does your monitor support the resolution it is setting itself to upon install?

List your system stats (all hardware) including your PSU. If you are underpower I guess it causes this problem as well. (agp or PCI-e?)

Last edited:
Because as it is now, i don't think it will be able to install windows. and you can't read the smallest text fonts (it's really bad)

This computer doesn't have a burner, but if i must i can connect one.

Windows XP Pro SP2

The card is seated perfectly

Yes i've had the same monitor settings with a 9700 Pro

Specs
Antec 350w
Abit AN-7
Athlon XP 3200+
2x512mb RAM
2xhdd
2xdvd

I've used the same PSU for the Radeon 9700Pro and it worked. The gfx card is AGP

Try changin the AGP speed to 4x in Bios.

Also, if you can see the screen clearly during boot, you will be able to see it durring Windows installation.

Have you tried putting the card into another computer? That might help you to determine wether it is the card itself, rather than software issues.

Everything else aside, I would suggest a PSU upgrade, regardless of whether the Ati card worked with it. How many case fans are you running? If I had 4 Hard drives, a new High power card, several case fans, and an over-clocked CPU on a 350 watt psu, I would be nervous.

Try changing the AGP speed first, let us know what happens.

The screen is weird all the time, not just in windows

the screen was fine until i installed the drivers from the cd, so it must be a software problem. If i could just delete those drivers from the hdd, but they are locked or something I can't move them.

Yeah i am running alot of stuff in that rig, what would you suggest for PSU, how much wattage do i need ?

Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.34Ghz
4 case fans + cpu cooler (NB is passive)
2 hdd's
1 dvd+-rw
1 cd-rw

I'll try changing the AGP speed now

BobbyXP3200 said:
The screen is weird all the time, not just in windows

the screen was fine until i installed the drivers from the cd, so it must be a software problem. If i could just delete those drivers from the hdd, but they are locked or something I can't move them.

Yeah i am running alot of stuff in that rig, what would you suggest for PSU, how much wattage do i need ?

I'll try changing the AGP speed now

Hmm. As far as a new PSU goes. A very WELL rated 400 or any good 450+ to e safe I would say. Toms ( I know ) did a review and lab on several, it's a good read, I'll try and find the link later. Sparkles are good, some Antecs. Look in the Power Supply and Case Forum, there is a wealth of info there.

As far as software is concerned. If your screen is screwy while your pC is posting, that's hardware issues of some kind. The drivers don't load until Windows starts to Boot. And the drivers would not have changed the Card Bios (that I know).

Is it an older monitor? Maybe when the new drivers installed it jumped the refresh rate and fried it? A quick way to hardware Diagnosis is always to test it on another pc. Try using the monitor on another pc as well. I know it's a pain, but it's a quick, surefire way of telling.

Hope this is helping. Video card issues are some of the most frustrating things..

Silverfoot said:
Is it an older monitor? Maybe when the new drivers installed it jumped the refresh rate and fried it? A quick way to hardware Diagnosis is always to test it on another pc. Try using the monitor on another pc as well. I know it's a pain, but it's a quick, surefire way of telling.

I'm using the same monitor now and it is working fine. the refresh rate did change right before it started though, but if i set it to lower or higher it doesn't help.

I'll try the following tomorrow and get back with the results:
1. Latest Forceware
2. AGP 4X
3. old GFX card in the new computer
4. 6600GT in the old computer

Turtle Shell said:
did u unistall the old vga drivers you had?

I still had the ATI drivers left then, but they are all removed now.

you mentioned yourself that hell break loose the moment you installed the vga drivers, my suggestion would be that instead of going through everything on your check list just download and install a new driver, AFAIK first rule of trouble shooting revert back the last thing you did before a stable system :)

P.S if you are having problems getting into windows you might wanna try the safe mode with networking out

Iget blue screen alot now, it says

"NV4.disp is caught in an endless loop"
"it might be an error with the driver or the unit"

The screen is really bad now, i can barrelly read this page

I was unable to install the latest drivers, when it reboots it hangs when it's loading windows and i get that blue screen i mentioned above

I've heard of Nvidia having bad drivers but this is off the scale!

I can't read the text in BIOS, so i can't change to AGP4X

I can't get into windows unless i use fail safe mode

Looks like it

I put in the old GFX card in this rig now and the screen is perfect!

I put the 6600GT in the old computer and the screen was bad instantly

I just ordered this card last week and i get a bad one :bang head

now i have to wait another week or maybe more before my rig is complete. this is bad, I should've went with ATI

Really MSI? they're such a big name, the biggest gfx card maker.

I'll email the dealer and see what they say about RMAing it

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Back