• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probably something simple..but need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdrash

Senior Member, Benching Team Member
1st... my system specifications:

Motherboard: DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLi-D
CPU: AMD FX53
PSU: ZIPPY 600w
HD: Maxtor Diamond Max 9 200GB Sata
CD: HP CDRW
FD: 3.5 unknown (maybe Toshiba)
GPU: BFG 7800GT OC
RAM: 2x512 G.skil PC4400 LE (TCCD)
Other Things using power: swifttech 12v MCP650 pump, 1 Delta 120mm fan (in), 2 San ace 120mm (out)

2nd...Historical relevance statement:

Last week I added a Maze 4 GPu block into my WC loop. While completing this task I took some short cuts and left the clamp on my cpu inlet untightened. This caused a small drip of water from the cpu onto the gpu. I killed the BFG 6600 Gt card. I went out and bought a replacement gpu (BBA x800XL) hoping everything else would be fine. I installed the x800XL into the Pci-x slot on my motherboard (this was a DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D), rebooted my machine with the Maze 4 on. This worked for 5 days. I then received two new(used, bought on forums here) 512mb sticks of G.Skill PC4400 LEs. I installed the ram into my system making it 4x512mb for a total of 2GB. WHen I rebooted I received IRq not less than or equal Blue screen error. I shut down removed the two sticks and rebooted again. Windows almost opened and then it crashed to a blue screen with a PnF error. I was unable to get windows to boot at all, continuous crashes. So I tried to install windows XP pro, no success. Then I tried to install windows XP 64bit trial version, no success, then I tried to install windows 2000 pro, no success. Then I tried to install linux 7.1(redhat), no success. then I tried knoppix from the CD, knoppix worked. So I thought maybe my harddrive (an old 30 GB maxtor) had run its lifespan. I went out and bought a new harddrive (listed above in specs), a new motherboard (listed above in specs), and for the fun of it I bought a new video card (listed above in specs).

3rd....My problem statement:

I installed the new motherboard, the new graphics card and the new Harddrive into my system. I left out the maze 4 and the old harddrive. I put everything back together again and then booted with my winxp pro CD. I was able to install windows (had to use F6 procedure). Everything worked fine. Then last night after only running for approximately 6 hours I had a blue screen error and was not able to recover from this, so I tried to install the OS again...no success, tried other OSes, no success. The only thing I can get to boot up is knoppix (from CD). When I try installing WinXp pro I get stuck (computer freezes right after using F6 for third party raid drivers) at Setup is starting Windows screen. When I try to skip the F6 procedure of-course windows politely tells me there is no harddrive attached.

4th...my plea for assistance:

Can someone please help me before I have to exercise extreme options like return new stuff and suffer with one computer, or even worse smash it all!!! I am frustrated at this point. I am starting to suspect that my FX53 may be dieing, or the PSU? But then why would knoppix work? I tested my known good 2x512 G.skills using memtest86 (no errors). Help me please, what else can I do??

Last edited:
last week I was working on a clients computer where he had a similar situation he kept on getting the blue screen, the end result was that the memory he had was bad and so after changing the memory everything worked fine. My question to you is do you remember the error message by any chance?

TheProf said:
last week I was working on a clients computer where he had a similar situation he kept on getting the blue screen, the end result was that the memory he had was bad and so after changing the memory everything worked fine. My question to you is do you remember the error message by any chance?

There were two, the first one was an irq les than not equal kind and the second one was a Pnf (never seen this kind before).

I memtested my orginal ram and had no errors after 3 passes....anyways I was able to get the OS reloaded, I had to remove the Karajan 8 sound module thing...don't know why but when I started eliminating stuff that is what got me to be able to reload OS and boot into windows. Once I got my OS installed I installed the motherboard/chipset drivers, then my graphics card drivers, then I flashed my bios to an older (apparently more stable) one. I was using the oscar wu 704-3 when the problem happend (not sure if that bios is for FX53 cpus or not..saw where the 702-3 was supposed to be only rev E cpus...so ???). Now I am using the 623-3 Bios. one thing though...I can't boot unless all my BIOS settings at are at default..which sucks very much. But emergency is over, I can work on the Bios settings over time.

Back