• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winter Ductmod, Condensation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

I'm planning on setting up a duct mod for this winter...it gets very chilly...the duct will be entering my tower through the side panel and pointing directly at my CPU fan, thusly hitting the heatsink. In this setup, how is condenstation caused and how do i prevent it? Thanks for the infos.

ziggo0 said:
I'm planning on setting up a duct mod for this winter...it gets very chilly...the duct will be entering my tower through the side panel and pointing directly at my CPU fan, thusly hitting the heatsink. In this setup, how is condenstation caused and how do i prevent it? Thanks for the infos.

I doubt it will condensate.

The only chances of it condensating is if your using an AC to blow directly into your case :)

Ahhh...I see. So the cold air that comes from AC (which condensates) isnt the same as just negative temp'ed air from outside? That makes this all that much easier :). Thanks for the replys

ziggo0 said:
Ahhh...I see. So the cold air that comes from AC (which condensates) isnt the same as just negative temp'ed air from outside? That makes this all that much easier :). Thanks for the replys

ahhhh, didnt know it was negative temps from outside, no there is no difference it's just that the AC keeps it coming. Negative temp air from outside can condensate...you will just have to use it and see if it does... then prevent it where it happens.

From what I know (which is not the most), AC also ends with with less moisture in the air so there would be more of a chance of the outside air forming condensation. Unfortunately I don't have experience with protecting against condensation, but I would think that it MAY be an issue...

As always feel free to correct me with more informed info. Good luck with this setup, it sounds great to me, and I would love to have freezing air comming in from a duct to my CPU and all.

Burdman

It's hard to get condesation from an AC unit (or from outside winter air, I imagine). The rule I remeber for condensation that someone mentioned a while back is that a warm class of milk (the HSF) cannot condense in a fridge (the cold air from the duct), but the other way around (cold class in warm humid air) can condense.

From what ive experienced (being outside in the winter), the air isnt usually humid in the winter. If the air is dry and cool enough to chap your lips, it shouldnt be much of a problem if its going into your computer. But it may be different where you live.

things condensate when they are colder than the air around them. so when you blow cold air over a warm heatsink, you have no worries at all. but when you blow warm air over a cold phase change evaporator, you get condensation.

the case itseld may condensate tho, on the outside where the warmer air of the house is in contact with it. caus the air from outside is gonan be making the case colder than the air inside, and remember when something is colder than the air around it, it then condenses. as with the milk example, think of when you stick a can of warm coke in the fridge, it stays dry, but when you take the cold can out and put it into warm air, it condenses. tink of your cpu as the warm can and the cold air as being the fridge. no worries on condensation.

Wow thanks alot guys, that sets my worries to ease. I've been thinking it was the other way around, to where cold air hits a warm object and condensates. Thanks alot, i got the ductmod jibbies now hehehee

hehe. I'm still trying to decide how im going to do it. one option is to leave the whole room cold like last year, or im thinking a simple hose (like 3/4 inch dia.) running to a chettoduct to one of the fans so it pulls in only cold air, but not so much as to make the whole room freezing, jsut give that lowered temp boost.

One thing that may be of concern is when you turn the computer off. When the duct has been removed, the electronics are colder than room temperature.
I'm not sure if I got my point across...it's kind of hard to explain in words.

I would get the dryer duct from a hardware store. That way that your not freezing your arse off.

Edit: this should work

Linkage (clicky) SKU: 186627 <--- copy and paste into search box.

Attachments

• 197105_4.jpg
    197105_4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
IWasHungry said:
One thing that may be of concern is when you turn the computer off. When the duct has been removed, the electronics are colder than room temperature.
I'm not sure if I got my point across...it's kind of hard to explain in words.

I know exactly what your talkin about, thats one thing that bothers me. Once the computer gets shut off and freeze cold air pelts the computer's hardware...over night the hardware will freeze, your turn it on and the computer's frozen parts will begin to warm up causing...?

simple. when you wanan turn off the comp, just take off the duct for a few minutes and let the thing run with fans moving air through it. it likely wont be cold enough to condense, and if it DOES, the air moving across will evaporate it quick enough to keep from having problems. or you could just nto turn it off :D shoudl be folding anyways ;-)

ziggo0 said:
I know exactly what your talkin about, thats one thing that bothers me. Once the computer gets shut off and freeze cold air pelts the computer's hardware...over night the hardware will freeze, your turn it on and the computer's frozen parts will begin to warm up causing...?

NO, what he was saying is that if you turn your computer off, air stops moving.. your computers case and parts are colder.. the room air (which is warmer) comes into the case because of heat/cold transfer. so warm air is hitting your cold parts.. condensation!

Now, before you turn it off, you disconnect your ducts and let the pc circulate some of the warmer room air around the case and let it come back up to ambient temps and then shut it off you should be alright. just make sure you give it enough time to evap any ambient room moister.

You could also get a AC fan, and use it to pump some rooom temperature air into the case. Although (if I were you), I'd probably take out the duct and close the window when I wasn't on the computer and it was just idling (unless you fold), so then you would have nothing to worry about.

Back