• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeFessler

I play a game called Final Fantasy XI, and whenever I'm in an area with a high number of players my framerate drops to 12fps. The games max FPS is 30 because of the PS2 users so basicly I've lost over half the max FPS. I can raise the framerate back up if I disable shadows and other affects. What on my system is causing this slowdown?

I didnt play FFXI but I did play ac2 and experienced the same thing. That one is a huge RAM hog, ppl in game said they experinced improvement using 2Gb over 1Gb.

Okay, I looked at some FFXI screenshots, looks alsmost exactly like ac2. I know those shining effects that surrounds players(like shiny surfaces, translucity, gasses, fog etc) puts alot of load on the comp. When you enter an area with lots of stuff like that..well the comp have to work hard then. :p

Maybe, in FFXI, the main load is put on the GPU.

FFXI doesn't really shine very much in the PC version, its more shiney in the PS2 version. The only thing tthat bogs me down is when a number of players are in the same area. I have everything in the game maxed tho. 2048x2048 back res and 1152x864 overlay res.

I think that res would do it. Thats not exactly simple to render. Try playing at 1024768 for at least 5 minutes and see if there is a difference.

i also think it could be a bandwith issue. sometimes there is a massive lag when there are too many ppl in one area in mmorpgs, and the reason the framerate drops is bc your vid card has nothing new to render, since its waiting for the new data.

Yeah, your video card or the resolution that you are running at would probably be more at fault than your CPU, especially *that* CPU.

I am reminded of a similar situation from PlanetSide in which the presence of a large amount of players with, shall we say, less-endowed computers would be in a room and drag down the Rest of Us. MMO-anythings require a lot of bandwidth, and can bring even a 768-kbit DSL line to its knees.

Blackmage said:
what video card are you using?, reason is the more models on screen the more rendering needed.

I don't see it being bandwidth. He has plenty of memory bandwidth unless he is using a serious divider. And by default, PCIE goes to 16x. But at that resolution, anything would lag.

Also, what refresh rate do you run at? That can cause SERIOUS slow downs.

Back