• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me decide which AMD I will buy! I an in a hurry!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GeorgeMan

Registered
Hello, I am new here! I am going to buy some components.
So I will buy the Asus A8V-Deluxe with the K8T800pro chipset and 3ide+ 4sata controllers!!!! (110$-130€)

So, I have found the Amd athlon 64 3200+ at €210-$180
and the Athlon 64 3500+ at €259-$220

And will I need any extra cpu cooling kit (I have found one Gigabyte G power cooler) at 30€-25$.

So, what processor do I need, and is it worth spending 40$(50€)to the 3500+ cpu?
Will I need to buy a new cooler, or the stock is enough? I have to say that I an going to overclock the cpu from the first time I buy it!

So, what do you suggest to me?
Please tell me soon, because I am in a hurry to make a decision!!!

First of all what made you decide on that board? The VIA chipset is not so good especially for overclocking second the cooler is a total trash and you would need to look out for either: Thermalrights XP90 or XP120, ThermalTake Big Typhoon, Sonic Tower, they are soposed to be in that price range.
Will I need to buy a new cooler, or the stock is enough?
If you plan to OC then its not enough.

So, what do you suggest to me?
Well first choose an NF4 or ULi chipset board, they are far better then VIA (with the Abit Fatal1ty being an exception), I would suggest the DFI nF4 LanParty Ultra-D. While some say its a problematic board I think its an excellent board if you do your homework on all parts.

Second - get the 3200 Venice, amdzone.com did a review of it and the 3500 and they both OC to the same speed and at the same speed the 3200 performs a little better so the 3500 is an utter waste of money.
Make sure you get Venice core!
Any more questions?

And one last thing: :welcome:

GeorgeMan said:
A! Not to forget: Will I need more RAM than the one I have now? (768mb=512/400+256/266)?
You need a matched pair of at least 400DDR memory, I would HIGHLY recommend OCZ brand.
Running a AMD 64 right what that mem will totally cripple it.
Get either 2X512mb or 2X1gb kit, otherwise its a waste of money upgrading.

Asus has always had some fine extras but it is not a good choice for overclocking.

DFI, it appears, still makes the best overclocking motherboards.

As for CPUs, the lates Venice core, E6 tepping 3200+ should overclock just fine so you shouldn't spend extra money on the 3500+ at the expense of say, a good power supply brand. Power supply brand is very important for overclocking. Which one did you plan on buying?

Are all those stiocks PC3200 RAM? 768MB should be OK.

Last edited:
The thermalright xp 120 is too expensive, and I cannot fing the xp90 model here in greece!
The gigabyte cooler has 68+CFM! Thant's why I chose it!
I want an s939 with AGP 8x! Is the Abit AV8-3RD eye good? It has not the Promise Asus controller (+ide+2sata), but it haw the μGuru!

For AGP, look for the latest Socket 939 ULi chipset mobos...

The thermalright xp 120 is too expensive, and I cannot fing the xp90 model here in greece!
I want an s939 with AGP 8x! Is the Abit AV8-3RD eye good? It has not the Promise Asus controller (+ide+2sata), but it has the μGuru!
AND yes, the one is 266mhz.
Please tell me!

GeorgeMan said:
I want an s939 with AGP 8x! Is the Abit AV8-3RD eye good? It has not the Promise Asus controller (+ide+2sata), but it haw the μGuru!
Unless you are building a server you don't need so many ports, the Abit AV8 is a good board but not the best.
Is you can find an ASrock S939 board with the new ULi chipset it would be a great buy because it comes with both AGP and PCI-e ports so you will be able to upgrade in the future. If you can't find the ASrock board then your best option will be the Epox 9NDA3+/J as it is the best AGP socket 939 overclocker.

BTW its bot worth investing in a AGP board, its a dead socket with one foot in the grave and what about the Thermal Take coolers?

Yes, PCIe motherboards are "better" but if you need the AGP mobo on Socket 939 there is a new chipset out, the ULi chipset, which is better than the old ones, maybe there will be other brands for this chipset later but for now this choice is better than Asus or old Epox for 939 AGP:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524

GeorgeMan said:
Sonic NOPE!
Thermal take: Fanless 103& Tower 112. I think that the Asrock mobos are "for the trash"... But tell me.
ASrock is actually Asus but its just their "value" line and currently the 939Dual board is one of the better boards out there and its stock performance is in the top 5 at anandtech.
I was in the same spot as you are few months ago as I had a great AGP card and I wanted to move to S939 but wanted to keep the card but in the end decided to sell my card and I got a PCI-e instead with good upgrade options, in about a year I can get a good PCI-e card, some memory and maybe a CPU and that will keep me a live for a while before I move to M2 socket. Do your math and decide what is right for you, google is your friend so look for reviews!

I read that those ASRock boards are a pretty good starting point for beginning OC'ers...I plan on building a server rig using one sometime.

nemesis730 said:
I think the 3000+ venice is the best overclocker on the market right now. I would call it the 2500+ Barton of the AMD 64 line. Its cheap ($136 on newegg) and it overclocks easily to 2.4 ghz+ (which is 3500+ speed i believe). If you check the tabulations listed on this website, it even shows that the avg overclock for the 3000+ venice is around 2.7-2.8ghz.

And for motherboard, get an asus a8n-deluxe sli or the DFI version of it. the via chipsets just dont compare in terms of ease of overclockabilty.
You are absolutely right but unless you have some memory that can hit 266MHz+ you are not going to get to 2400 unless you use a divider.
I'm all for using a dividers on a A64 platform but sometimes the mobo will not work on a specific divider with a specific memory and IMO its just a risk not worth taking.
And nemesis730: :welcome:

So, would it be good to buy the Athlon 64 3000+ and with the more money a PCI-express motherboard?
In three years I will buy a new PC (and this is for sure).
Will I need IN these three years a card more powerful than the 6800Ultra or X850Platinum?
Will they be able to play the 2-3 years games? Will the new chipsets (7800GTX-X1800XT) be in the agp slot in the near future?

GeorgeMan said:
So, would it be good to buy the Athlon 64 3000+ and with the more money a PCI-express motherboard?
In three years I will buy a new PC (and this is for sure).
Will I need IN these three years a card more powerful than the 6800Ultra or X850Platinum?
Will they be able to play the 2-3 years games? Will the new chipsets (7800GTX-X1800XT) be in the agp slot in the near future?
I don't know about the 7800 or the 1800 in AGP but about your question it all depends on what you have now. If you have a X850Plat already or a 6800Ultra then it would be better to get a AGP board, if you don't have any AGP card then you could invest in a cheaper card like the X800XL and in a year and a half buy another card that will keep you alive for a while.

So, Athlon 64 3000+ to reach at least 2500mhz (from 1800) or 3200+ (2000 to 2600+mhz)?
I have the Radeon 9800pro now and it is ok!

In your case I would really look for the ASrock board because your card can power up games currently but it isn't going to last very long, I'd say that in 4-5 months it will be totally outdated.

Back