• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman Thermal Adhesive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabber359

Hey all. Been a while since I posted on these forums :)

Anyhow, I was wondering about the above mentioned product. Can it be used to attach a heatsink to a CPU? No we are not talking about a big, bad, XP-120, just a standard cooler.
The problem being, at the side of the CPU bracket, one of the attachments for the heatink clip has broken off, so I can't fasten the HS anymore. Now I thought thermal adhesive would solve this problem, but I'm reading on the websites (artic silver, zalman, etc) NOT to use it for a HS-CPU bond. *Grumble*. The mobo is only small and the housing a desktop, so it won't be vertical.

Can anyone give me some advice in this regard (never used adhesive before, only AS5 and no, It wasn't me that damaged the CPU slot, gg) ? Thanks.

I'm not worried about unsticking them, it would be a permanent solution.
The CPU is a VIA Eden 533MHz anyhow :p
The HS is just your typical, lightweight aluminium thing. The clip that holds the HS in place is also your typcial long, flat piece of metal, the one where you have to use a screwdriver on each side to ' push down and out, or down and in'

No I can't get a bracket, the piece that has broken off is on the 'side' of the CPU slot. Now you can't exactly replace that can you :p

I wouldn't rely on the chip only to stick the HS to. If you move the case it may very well snap off taking a piece of the core with it.

The chip has a metal top on it so your fine. It wont get to hot anyway just use the adhesive. Its all to comon for the cpu socket to lose the holding lip. You may want to make sure the weight of the heatsink is supported or held in place just so If you do move the unit the weight of the heatsink doesnt pry lose the cpu from the socket.

Back