• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-90 or XP-120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chrome-

I'm going to be getting a 3800+ X2 and I'm wondering, would an XP-90 give me good temps or should I go with the XP-120? Are these chips hot, or what? I'll be using it for some major gaming and multi-tasking. So what would be sufficient?

The X2 3800 isn't a particularly hot of a chip, but it's still gonna heat up with overclocking. The XP-90 would definately be sufficient, but if you want the best of the best, go for the XP-120. I have the XP-90 and I LOVE it; I have only seen 40 degrees C once ;)

For the difference in price, I'd say just go with the XP-90 and the fan of your choice.

If you've got the budget for an XP-120, I'd reccomend getting the XP-90C or SI-120. Either would probably a good choice. Depends on how much noise you want also.

I have SI-120 on my 4400 @ 1.62v I get 29C idle / 44C maxL temps... w/ AS5
Make sure you get some AS5 whichever one you choose...I would get the SI-120 over the XP-120 for clearance issues, although both should work, RAM will fit a little easier w/ SI-120 ;)

BTW, heatsinkfactory is out of the SI-120's :(

I think I'll go with the SI-120. It seems like it will do great for my needs.

Is there any other heatsinks I should be looking at that will keep my processor nice and cool?

I have an xp120 with a delta triblade on a 3700 at 2.7ghz at 1.45 volts.
I have an xp90 with a delta triblade on a 3000 at 2.7ghz at 1.502 volts

I get same temps, both are on DFI Ultra-d :shrug:

save your money get an XP90 with a delta triblade low speed 2600 rpm 57cfm fan, very quiet and honestly from experience with bigger and faster fans anything more is just overkill and makes more noise than cools more.
The xp90 is on my girlfriends machine, I wanted to get her somethine effective yer QUIET, if I had known it would have kept up if not beat my xp120 I would have got one myself in the beggining. Plus its much easier to work around and you still get effective memory cooling.

Now the question is, Panaflo or Delta? I'd rather not have this computer be extremely loud.

Chrome- said:
Now the question is, Panaflo or Delta? I'd rather not have this computer be extremely loud.

triblade deltas are the best fans for HS application.

here's what the setups I have

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92trbllows.html
that is on my xp90, very quiet, very good air mover.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12trblhisp.html
this is on my xp120, way overkill, when I runit at 7volts at 2400 rpm its much quieter and doesnt cool any worse than full blast. The low speed delta is same size and same price, so I just put this on a FC and called it a day.

again with those 2 setups I get same temps.

Okay, I've decided I'm going to go with an XP-90.

XP-90 (aluminum) or XP-90C (copper)? Does the copper version make much of a difference?

Possibly 1-3C more, the bottom line is your case ambient temps and your airflow. for the money I personally dont think the copper version is worth it,

Having the 90 and 120 in use I would say the 90 is the way to go, bang for the buck and ease of use and same performance.

Looks like I'll be getting an XP-90, then.

Looks like a great heatsink. I'll pair it with a Delta.

Rattle said:
Possibly 1-3C more, the bottom line is your case ambient temps and your airflow. for the money I personally dont think the copper version is worth it,

Having the 90 and 120 in use I would say the 90 is the way to go, bang for the buck and ease of use and same performance.
Exactly why I went with the aluminum XP-90 too.

the copper version is a waste. its A LOT heavier, costs more and only cools 1-2 degrees more at most.

proven by many articles.

Back