• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Keys Sticking!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antillian

I have a Presario R3340 laptop. About a month ago I accidentally spilled something on my keys, well I tried to dry it as best I could...and everything was fine, but lately its gotten bad. The keys stick a lot and its hard to type. What's the best way to remedy this? Any help is appreciated.

My laptop's keyboard is detachable. You might check and see if yours is. That would make cleaning it easier.

I can't thing of anything to clean it other than maybe soaking it in some alcohol. But honestly I don't know if that's a good idea.

can you pluck laptop keys off? Or mabie you could do what numbstruck said, remove the keyboard, and pour some alchol thru the keys, then get some compressed air and dry it out. That might help some

hmm...okay thanks guys, i'll find the manual for my laptop and see if the kb is detachable. i was thinking if i could take out the kb that would make fixing the problem a whole lot easier.

Just be happy that you didn't fry your laptop by spilling a liquid into it. At work I had to take apart a laptop that burst into flames due to a glass of water being spilled into it. It looks as if the water caused the power to the lcd screen to arc into the aluminum heatsink of the northbridge. I was surprised that the hard drive still worked. I'm not too sure about the 2.66Ghz P4 or the 2x256 PC2100 that was in it though.

Most keyboards are removable (usually a ribbon cable is what connects it to the mobo), so good luck on getting it clean. Oh, soaking just the keyboard in warm water with a very mild detergent and rinsing clean seems like the best way for me to clean keyboards....not sure if it is the best way to clean a laptop keyboard though.

isopropyl alcohol is one of the better things you can use. I worked for a company that made motherboards and other cards and that is what we used to clean the off with.

bad laptop keyboard solution

If your keyboard is seriously mucked up, here's a reasonably quick solution.
Get a small form factor usb keyboard. I bought a nice one at Fry's for under $20.00. Make sure it works with your setup. If you're lucky enough to have a guide to your laptop that explains how to remove the keyboard, use it. Otherwise, turn it upside down and start removing screws until you can get to the keyboard connector <g>. Be sure to establish some kind of system so that you know which screws goes where, they will probably be of different lengths, thread, etc. The keyboard will almost certainly connect to the mobo via a connector that can be slid right off. Slide it off, put your laptop back together, and use the external keyboard instead. Mine fits right on top of the dead keyboard on my laptop, and fits nicely in my laptop bag. I did this to eliminate random spurious signals from the built in keyboard until I can find an installable replacement (or fix the old one with some unknown voodoo technique).

Back