• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reason for PCI-E lock ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zonama™

Registered
I've searched around the forums but can't find the answer. Why should the PCI-E bus be locked at 100mhz ? I know that too high bus speeds on the pci bus can lead to not functioning items that use the pci bus and eventually hdd corruption.

So why should / must the PCI-E bus be locked ?

Same reasons as the PCI bus, things on it tend to not like to be overclocked too far. You can put ide controllers, sata controllers, etc on the PCI-E bus as well (they already do). My board lets you select as speed for the pci-e bus (ie I could overclock it as well, and see where things start failing), however the PCI-E bus is fast enough already right now that I doubt I would get a noticeable performance increase.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
when i oced my cpu, my pci-e bus went up with it (i didn't touch it). it's now sitting at 114mhz, and has been for the past 4-5 months. is that bad?

Back