• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

>_< Wireless problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Semyaza

I bought my sister a new lappy so she gave me her old one to add to my homenetwork. So I added a PC Card to it that has wireless .11b, now for some reason my .11g lappy seems to disconnect often for no apparent reason. My WAP is b and g compliant. I don't know why there seems to be some conflict between the computers any ideas on this?

After doing a little searching, I found something interesting in this article:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/1577701

The 802.11g standard uses orthogonal frequency-division (OFDM) to attain its high data speed. To protect 802.11b users, 802.11g is required to also send a protection signal based on the longer complementary code keying (CCK.) In interviews earlier this week, Sheung Li, an Atheros product line manager claims some vendors are bypassing the protection signal. Omitting the protection signal ensures high data speeds for 11g users, at the cost of locking out 802.11b users.

Without the protection, an 802.11b user would be blocked by an invisible flow of 802.11g data and assume the wireless network had crashed.

Its strange, I'm currently taking a class on Wireless LANs and WLAN technology in college, I thought b and g were supposed to be compatible already! Hope this helps in some way!

Yeah the weird thing is though the older lappy with the B is somehow doing something like this to the G instead of the other way around, I have no idea whats going on. I completely opened up my network and I still cant con steady, so I don't think its a security setting. Zzzz

Tebore said:
Have you tried updating the drivers on the 11G card? I'm betting it's an Intel 2200BG?
Nope, Ill have to give that a try, the main thing I am noticing is my .b pc card doesnt seem to support wpa, everytime I try to enter the network key it brings up an error that i have to enter a alphanumeric (ascii) or hexadecimal key between 4-20 letters, and it IS. I think it wants a WEP key or something I should prob try to update it first cause something is bugging on it.

Semyaza said:
Nope, Ill have to give that a try, the main thing I am noticing is my .b pc card doesnt seem to support wpa, everytime I try to enter the network key it brings up an error that i have to enter a alphanumeric (ascii) or hexadecimal key between 4-20 letters, and it IS. I think it wants a WEP key or something I should prob try to update it first cause something is bugging on it.

What are you using to configure the cards? Windows Built in Wireless Manager? or Manufacture's utility? It's best to use the Manufacture's stuff otherwise, you'll need SP2 to activate WPA.

Back