• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first Custom computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Odald

Hello overclockers forums :) My name is charlie. my story starts here(lol)

Well about 3 years ago my dad bought me my first computer, it was a dell.. yes you heard me right, a dell. Well when i first got this computer all i wanted to do was play starcraft and diablo 2.. And then i got into CS 1.6, now.. the computer i got is a dell 2350, it cant handle cs 1.6 good at all. about 3 months ago i bought a 512 MB stick of memory for it and it improved the performance a lot, around that time i started playing WoW, and seeing my friend get his new comp and playing CS:S on it got me thinking "Wow.. id really like a computer that can perform like that."

After all this thinking.. i decided to get a job and get some cash to buy my own computer. So last month i started buying computer parts off from Newegg.com.

Here is a list
Case: Xion 2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811208008) (I'm using PSU that came with it)
CPU: AMD 64 3000+ (venice core)
HD: 160 gb Hitachi (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145088)
RAM: Rosewill 1gb (2x512) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820223030)
Mobo: JetWay 939GT4-SLI-G (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813153030)
GPU: GIGABYTE Geforce 6600gt (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125156)

not gonna list the rest heh partially cause there not too important for this post heh.

well. the rest of my parts will be getting here tomorrow, and i will hopefully get it up and running without breaking something lol.. hopefully the research i have done will be enough to get it running and after a few days maybe Overclocking (ooooo).

And yea i know some people will be like "this post goes in the so and so section", but the reason for this post is just to find out some of your experiences with the amd 3000+ Venice core processor, and maybe the mobo if any of you have it :)

thanks a lot for reading and if you post, thanks for that too :)
Charlie

PS. yea, i know I'm not good at writing storeys lol.. just wanted it to be short and to the point.

Well first things first: Welcome to the forums
I'm sure you will love building your pc as much as you do gaming on it (at least I do).
It looks like you have put yourself together a nice system and youll definatly be able to play wow and cs on it. One thing I would suggest if this is your first build is to have a friend that has built them in the past supervise you (you do the actual work however), or post any questions you have when doing the build to help things go more smoothly.
As far as experiences with the 3000+, everyone I've talked to is happy with how its performed. Mine runs at 2.7ghz (1.5x as fast as it should) all the time with only .12 extra volts. I don't have any experience with jetway mb's however, but someone here will probably be able to answer that.
Oh, and one last comment, way to go on getting a job and buying the computer yourself. Alot of people have stuff handed to them and they usually don't have as much pride/respect for it then.

wow guys. thanks a lot for replying, right now i have the system all set up and running on the internet and everything (on my new comp now) and thanks for the input on the overclocks. now im not as afraid to do it lol.. figured if i tried to take it too high it would blow up.. now i know some settings that work.

thanks for the welcome too.

charlie

You will never be able to "blow up" the computer. The only way you could damage the CPU is when you start hitting high voltages combined with high temperatures. Rule of thumb for me is keep it under 50c load and dont hit high voltages and you should be fine.
If you are too scared, just leave the voltages alone and kick up the FSB until it wnt go any further, from there just stick your ground until you learn more about overclocking and voltages.

cool, thanks a lot for that hint, lol.

and yea. im scared a bit :) hah

well.. i got some bad news.. i put the multiplier at 9x and the mhz at 270. (went up 5 mhz increments) but at 270 my comp just wont start up anymore.. it gets to the boot screen where i can select to go to BIOS or boot from device.. but it doesnt go past that and just freezes there.

this realy sucks, if anyone out there has any idea whats wrong. please tell, cause i feal depresed now heh.

that means its goen too high, if dont feel comfortable with voltages, then tone it down a bit, if you think yea, ill go for it, push the voltages up by 0.05 volts at a time, until it becomes stable, when you can boot into windows use a program like prime 95 or SP2004 to stress test it to see if its 100% stable (CPU doesnt make any mistakes)

if it is, then your all good, if it does make mistakes, then voltage up a bit more, or lower FSB more

can i change the voltages outside of the monitor? i mean.. not using the computer.. cause it just freezes when i turn it on.

You set the voltage in the bios, but if it wont let you get into it, you'll need to reset the CMOS. To do that youll have to look in your manual for your motherboard and see what jumper you have to switch (make sure your power is off when you do it). You'll have to resetup your bios after that, but itll work again. Don't get discouraged though, it happens all the time and is no big deal.

a litle off topis but i think you should get a new psu.Psu that come with cases are ushally crap and if your psu craps out it could take parts with it.

O and :welcome: to the forums!

A low overclock can be attributed to many factors. The most simple one being you just have a less-than-average chip. Or some other factors including:
-Voltage is too low (Try to keep it below 1.6v on air cooling)
-LDT multiplier is too high (Should be set to 3x at this point)
-RAM MHz is set too high (Use dividers)
-Turn off Cool n Quiet if you haven't already
-Some others I can't remember right now.

Thanks a TON for the input.. now hopefully when i get home from school and try it out.. it works.

thanks again

Back