• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arctic cooling nv silencer 5 rev 3 rocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toddm27

I just put on this arctic cooling nv silencer 5 on my xfx 7800gtx oc and my overclocks went throught the roof and cooler than hell. under a load before 80-85 c after install 55-60c, at idle prior it was 54c and after install 34c. My beforehand overclocks wouldn't go over 510 core and 1350 memory. now it hits 530 core and 1390 memory. rocking strong and not to mention quiet. I just can't say to many good things about this cooler. my cpu should stay cooler now and chipset as it sits on top of it. :attn:

Nice!
By removing the plate and adding a 70mm (AMD CPU) Fan over the GPU, my XFX idles at 36C. Haven't tried the load temp yet (burn in RAM right now) but it should be good too.
Cheap alternative to the Arctic Cooler :)

Attachments

• P_7800GTX_Modded.jpg
    P_7800GTX_Modded.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 430
How's the backplate? I heard that there were issues with it - that it used to fall off in proto models and that this cooler can't work in cases where mobo is "upside down" like on photo in previous post.

I just ordered one today. I also have a Lian-Li V-1000 (upsidedown motherboard case). Should be interesting to see if the backplate sticks on.

Ven0m said:
How's the backplate? I heard that there were issues with it - that it used to fall off in proto models and that this cooler can't work in cases where mobo is "upside down" like on photo in previous post.

the thermal tape they send with it sucks horribly and if my board was possisitoned like his I couldn't use it, i got it in place and turned it upside down but the slightest bump caused it to fall off, but I will probably take it off and use some neoprene washers and screws with some arctic silver to screw the backplate down as it has all the mount holes in it. not a big deal but definately could've been thoughtout better. that would be my only gripe with it as of yet.

im very tempted to get one of these for my video card .. even for both of mine when i go sli .. as the newer motherboards will have enough spacing ..
the main reason i like this over the stasis thermal .. is because its quiet and takes all the hot air out of the case ..

from what i have heard about the stasis thermal .. is its loud .. well when u run the fan on high .. which i would need for maximum cooling .. i really like the heatsink for the power regulator though ..

so who knows ..

any pics of the silencer on ur gtx ??

Mate,

Keep an eye out for fan troubles. NVS is great when it works, but the fans are crap. I have had 2 silencers give out on me. Just a heads up.

its quiet and in reference if I was running in sli I couldn't fit another card under it as it overlaps the other pci express slot just bearly. I'll try to get some pics up tonight

I should be getting mine tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas for keeping that backplate on or are we going to have to wait for revision 4?

go to home depot or any hardware store and get some nylon screws and nuts and fasten it to the card with the holes provided along with some arctic silver. just make sure the power plug is wired right as mine came from svc and it was wired backwards like most reviews stated. just check the red and black wires match the yellow/red and black/black with original cooler.

I may try calling arcting cooling about some new tape, the miswiring isn't a big deal but the backplate needs to be addressed.

I also want to buy this cooler, But the rev.3 seems havn't released??? in australia.

It seems to only be available at very few retailers and the ones that are out are the models that should have been recalled, but with minor flaws such as the power plug and thermal tape that isn't sticky

i think the best cooler is Leadtek's stock cooler for its extreme edition 7800gtx. that one really looks great!!!!!!!!!!

that leadtek stock cooler is nothing more then the stock cooler for the Quadro cards. the thing looks badass though. i like it TONS! it looks like a squished xp90. also, when the Stasis cooler is redily available, it should be awesome.

I just installed the NV Silencer on my 7800GTX. I havn't had a chance to test load temps yet but it idles about 8C cooler. I had to switch the wires around on the fan plug. So far the backplate is hanging on just fine with the supplied tape.

the Leadtek extreme can oc to 552MHz!!!!! I think it's far better than NV5 Rev.3. It has more "fins".. The NV5 still too small. And AC make the ATi version better than NV version, the ATi version got a huge cooler for the RAM, I been tried one of that with my x850xt pe, it really cool down the whole card!!!!

Well, Leadtek extreme uses refernece Quadro cooler, which looks great. It's one of a few situations when replacing stock cooling is very likely to decrease performance.

Back