• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any upcoming changes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bLack0ut

Ya, thinking about making a computer late december, early january. Anyone know if there's gonna be any huge changes in technology... eg new processor/memory/ etc etc. I wanted to start planning now, but if there;s gonna be a big change, I'd rather wait.

Also, any big price difference is something I would like to forsee :D

My Thoughts

Lately there are always changes being released sometimes by the processors manfs sometimes by the vid card people and many of the others.It is my recomendation to examine your goals in what you want your computer to be able to do for you.Then examine how much your going to have availible to spend.Often this will require you go a specific direction and you might find some of the new released products are out of your price range or may not be necessary to accomplish what you want your computer to do.If you provided us this information it might help us provide you better assistance.
Good Luck in your decisions

The next AMD socket would be M2. The last of the skt939 cores would probably be out by early 2006. M2 would be most likely released Q2 or Q3 of 2006, but it won't be used too much until almost 2007.

So I'd just say upgrade now or wait 1-2 years.

In terms of video cards, they'll release the next X1800 soon and the 7800GTX 512MB verison is expected to be released shortly.

In terms of motherboards, most X16 SLi boards are shortly coming out, but that'll be the final wave of skt939 boards I'm assuming.

In memory, the M2 socket is supposed to support DDR2, so I'm assuming DDR2 would probably become more mainstream in late 2006

Back