• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Grub (i think)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

Okay i installed gentoo using the universal cd for my 754 system.
I followed instructions to the T using the livecd docs and of course compensated for any minor partition changes and etc.

I never got any errors on anything.. and after i emerged grub, config'd and "installed" i'm just get'n going to a blank screen after post. i dont
see the grub menu at all.

now my partitions are setup as /dev/hda
/dev/hda1 - windows partition
/dev/hda2 - linux swap
/dev/hda3 - linux /

i dont have a seperate partition for boot, but i adjusted settings on setup accordingly.

now my grub.conf is as follows.
Code:
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux AMD64
root (hd0,2)
kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda3

title=WindowsME
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Change the kernel line to read /boot/kernel ... instead of /kernel ...

Even if you don't have a separate partition for boot, you should still have a directory in / for boot.

That shouldn't prevent you from getting a grub menu though. Do you have a file grub.conf (or menu.lst) in /boot/grub? You should.

Also, did you install grub to hd0 using grub-install?

NM, thanks, finally got it up and running great.. had to wipe and start again though.. i've read this is the case a lot of times with gentoo first time installs though. :D

I'm glad you got it worked out. I ususally have a seperate /boot partition that is almost never mounted. It helps keep me from accidently messing up my grub config or deleting my kernel.

Back