• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The New Rig... X2 3800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Well I've made the switch from my old Intel Rig (in sig) to the following.

DFI LanParty Ultra-D (704-2BTA Bios)
X2 3800+ and the numbers (ADA3800DAA5BV / CDBHE 0533RPMW / 1314049H50588) Can Someone can ya tell me what all that means?
XP-120 heatsink
2x1Gig PC4000 Crucial Ballistix
2x250Gig Hatachi SATA2's (not in raid)
Audigy 2
X300 128mb ram, just a temp card til the x1800xt gets released
Oh ya can't forget OCZ 520W PowerStream

I got it up and running last night with a few issues, burned out a floppy drive :) Now finally figured out how to use a USB Flash drive as a bootable device. Byebye floppy drives permently! Currently its just installing windows so hopfully I'll start OCing soon :)

Anyways I'll be updating in here with OC and such, along with lots of questions im sure of it :)

First of all congrats on the new rig. I see it is a manchester core, can't wait to see your oc results. Keep us updated.

I'm going to be building a system extremely similar as soon as I decide on the processor, which will most likely be the 3800 x2. Can't wait to see how yours goes.

Thanks all.... Havn't had a chance to OC yet. Having issues installing SP2, keeps on crashing during a cleanup portion of the install so I'm making a slipstream of SP2 right now (which I should of done a long time ago).

Also I had some people ask me about this so. For all thats wondering of how to make a USB boot drive. AKA tossing that crappy floppy drive and using a nice small fast device and I do mean FAST! Check out this site http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootfromusbstick.php Hopfully that will help you all.

Nice, I'll be watching this thread. I'm really curious to see your results and more importantly, how your new rig compares to your old one. Your old pc is extremely similar to the one I'm going to be replacing soon (also a 2.4c @ 3.3ghz,) and I'm also thinking about using an X2.

You can be my guinea pig, of sorts :D :p

Well.... Some inital test results. Its up and running windows with SP2 (evil pack was slipstreamed)

Anyways heres what im sitting at currently, side of the case is off right now but that will change later.

CPU @ 2Ghz w/ 1.35V running 27C Idle, 36C Load (wow this is cool hehe) Its a revision BH-E4 chip This is also with a 120mm Fan running 7V pushing about 45CFM on it
NB: 1.5V
Ram: 2.8V

Cool cool, so far so good, now time to crank it up :) Oh btw, so far much snappier then the old P4 system when installing programs and such.

I'm thinking of an X2 replacement of my Xeon duallie sytem. If nothing else it will save me lots of electrical power and keep my room cooler. Even now in late October, my room is so hot that we aim a fan at our bed at night so we can sleep.

Quick update ;)

2.525Ghz :) 1.5V Bios, 1.45V Windows 9x Multi @ 280Mhz Idle 28C Load 39C
LDT 1.28V
Northbridge 1.58V

Everest Home Edition Memory Benches...
6483MB/s Read
2670MB/s Write
48.5ns Latency

This is still running much cooler then I expected though. Well off to bed going to let it test all night, or at least find out where it stops. This is I think the max voltage I wanted to put into it at all, maybe 1.55 ;) But well see in the morning, til then take a breather. BTW this is running cooler then my last system, which actually those temps in the sig where winter time, its around 46C load for my old one, makes me feel like I can do much more with this.

Audioaficionado said:
I'm thinking of an X2 replacement of my Xeon duallie sytem. If nothing else it will save me lots of electrical power and keep my room cooler. Even now in late October, my room is so hot that we aim a fan at our bed at night so we can sleep.

Ya im sure it will be putting off at least a little less heat. Save ya electricity on the fan and the system :) All in all good.

I agree with darksparkz. There is a good chance you could do 2.6Ghz at 1.5v. Try lowering your voltage. Your temps look really low, that is the good news.

I'm currently running 1.456v at 2.6Ghz, however core-0 is only 5 hours stable on Prime95 small FFT, while core-1 is 12+ hours stable. Jumping to 1.488 makes core-0 stable. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 2.7Ghz isn't going to be possible without going to 1.55 - 1.6 range, somewhere I don't want to go, espeacially with my silient air cooled case.

Good luck with your over-clock.

Ok what other temp monitoring software do you guys use? This SmartSpeed that DFI has is buggy IMO, and id doesn't read the correct info sometimes, any suggestions?

Wanted to do a "burn in", worked for me in the past. So still playing with it. It crashed over night so I'll have to do a little more playing around, and make sure my ram can take it doing memtest here in a few. So going to drop the multi and crank the ram up to around 310 to give me head room.

Sounds good- man that thing is running really cool :D If you still have some benchmark numbers written down from your old rig, could you compare them to numbers from the same benchmarks on the new? I'd be really interested in that.

Good luck!

Chaos_Being said:
Sounds good- man that thing is running really cool :D If you still have some benchmark numbers written down from your old rig, could you compare them to numbers from the same benchmarks on the new? I'd be really interested in that.

Good luck!

:( Can't find anything for results of my last CPU man. I know I didn't have any PI results though it was all sandra scores and results. It did scores slightly better then the 3.2Ghz P4's though back when I did have the tests, which now is nearly 2 years ago.

Well found the limit of the ram if not mistaken, or relativly close to the limit. [email protected] 3-3-3-8 timings running at 2610 doing the memtest. So far stable 40min into it, another few hours (after I get back from a movie) and I'll see how its doing then. Along with me poping into windows and starting some prime tests.

Audioaficionado said:
I'm thinking of an X2 replacement of my Xeon duallie sytem.
I'm with you on that one. but that all depends on how much i can sell my rig for

cornbread said:
Pics pics pics...we want pics! ;)

Also, what case you using?

What type of pics do you want? :) I can take a picture of my mess around my case currently hehe. And as soon as I get photoshop reinstalled after this finishes this past on memtest i'll take shots in windows at this speed 2.61Ghz.

Oh case it should be in my sig, if it isn't its a Antec Super LanBoy I got a while back. Only mods was cut the 2 grills out front/back, and cut a hole on the back of the mobo where the socket was sitting, well now its right where the ram modules sit :)

PWatterson said:
Quick question.....Are you running a divider on your memory?

Heck no :) 1:1 One reason why I got this ram, if I was going to spend money might as well get the stuff I can run 1:1.

Back