• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my FX 5500 is buggin' !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sulretal

It is quite odd I say! It is a 128MB DDR PCI (NOT PCI-e) GeForce FX 5500. Well, it is acting up on me. During 3D games like CS:S it the fps is poor, much worse than before; where I would get a constant 35-45 on 1024x768 with all medium settings, I am not getting 20-30 at 640x400 with all low. And even worse, because to me, playing with 20 fps is still enjoyable, after about 30 minutes my monitor starts being bombarded with multicolored 40x40 pixelscovering some areas of the screen; and no its not my monitor. Or, at other times, my pc - while playing a game or such that requires graphic utilit - will just shut off and reboot!

I did several virus scans, I did several spyware scams, I did defrag, I did disk-cleanup, and most important of all, I did take a shower, but to no prevail, my video woes are still encumbering my morality.

Now, I must add I tried a few drivers, 56.72, 81.blah blah and 70.blah blah (they're all the same to me). My card was previously OverClocked to 310/456; which is a bit distant from its stock speeds of 270/400. I recently turned off the OC, thinking that may be the problem; Hell no! I was wrong.

So may someone, corteous and hereoic, help my plighting endeavors. Any aide donated, against the resistance, will be duely noted!

Is this just in source engine based games? I know when the 9-23 update came out my performance on cs-s went to pot.

Well, Steam games are the only 3d games I own, so I geuss so. Although I might add that there are some strange colors appearing in Baldur's Gate now.

So if you get the strange colors w/ older and newer drivers. Your card might be having some problems. If not i bet it was that update.

It might be overheating too! Can you discribe the artifact better? Shape, color, snow?

thats not a problem with your video card, its the steam update for CSS that has caused this FPS drop, i have the same card as u except its AGP and the same thing happened to me, i fixed it by running -dxlevel81 in the launch options.

Maybe its overheating and the card is underclocking itself on 3d apps?

Might be a good time to get an upgrade...

Dan

Dan0512 said:
Maybe its overheating and the card is underclocking itself on 3d apps?

Might be a good time to get an upgrade...

Dan

Yes, I know it is a perfect time to upgrade. However, I find myself reluctant to any of my money for such meaningless applications. Yet, on the other hand, my afforementioned woes are in constant battle with my yearning to get a new mobo and video card! Oh the dilemma !

Last edited:
sulretal said:
Yes, I know it is a perfect time to upgrade. However, I find myself reluctant to any of my money for such meaningless applications. Yet, on the other hand, my afforementioned woes are in constant battle with my yearning to get a new mobo and video card! Oh the dilemma !

thats poetry! frasier couldn't have said it better himself.

EdwardTobia said:
thats not a problem with your video card, its the steam update for CSS that has caused this FPS drop, i have the same card as u except its AGP and the same thing happened to me, i fixed it by running -dxlevel81 in the launch options.

did you try what this guy said yet?

I apologize; Yes, CS:S already detects that I have a 8.1 video card. Oh the displeasant state of my malfunctioning computer hardware is making my morality very ill.

Back