• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only Get 882 on an 800EB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CJPC

I can Only Get 882 on an 800EB dualy system.

Anyone know why?

System Temp: 23C
Chip 1 : 39C
Chip 2 : 31C

At times I will get 45C on Chip 1 and around 35C on chip 2 on a full load.

Help

Thanks!

On my first chip, its a bad fan, one of those intel ones. on the second chip i have a coolermaster. I am also at the default voltage.

CJPC, here are some factors that are likely keeping from you to OC higher than 882..

- CPU stepping type/week#/batch

- Both CPU being in the same stepping is highly recommended

- Both CPU must be equally overclockable

- When did you buy the 800EB?

- Did you buy two of them together at the same time?

- Try a better CPU cooling

- Good, highly overclockable RAM? Try single stick?..

- Up the voltage as needed

- The older version of 800EB's usual max OC is 882- 900.

- Check your PSU. Be sure you have plenty of power such as 300+watt or more since u're on Dual 800

But I still think you really did good OC out of your 800EB. 882 is just about close to the max OC'ing if yours is cB0 or older stepping. The newer 800EB's OC like maddness. They go as high as 1Ghz+
Kingslayer has managed to run his dualy 800EB at that speed.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the info.

When I had my single 800 in I got about 984 out of it, with an OEM fan. No cooling, no case fans whatsoever.

I bought them at different times, but I beleive that they are the same.
(Will check it out.)

I bought the first 800, wow, around last november, or mabye feburary. ( It was snowing!)

The second one, I bought around summer-time of this year.

Once Again,

Thanks!

One question, seems kinda stupid.

How do you find out the stepping of the cpu?

If you have a FCPGA version, look for the S-Spec code on the top side of the CPU. It is usually written in the bottom. You'll see the codes like SL43E or something similar.. written in 5 charcters.

If you have Slot 1 version, you'll see that on the third line on the top plastic cartridge of your CPU.

Then go to: Intel S-Spec database and look in the chart to see what your stepping is.

Or you can just download Sisoft Sandra After u download and install this, you can test your system, run benchmarks, and reports all the spec. You can find out what stepping you have by clicking the first icon in the Sandra window "CPU & BIOS Information" and it will be listed next to "Stepping Mask" such as "A2", "B0", "C0", etc..

Or just download WCPUID as this program is smaller to download but it doesn't have benchmarking features as the Sandra can do. Look for the CPUID code in the CPUID window and look up in the Intel S-Spec database to see what stepping you have.

Last edited:
For Processor 1 : cD0
For Processor 2 : cC0

Are those any good?

Thanks!

CJPC said:
For Processor 1 : cD0
For Processor 2 : cC0

Are those any good?

Thanks!

Sorry I felt asleep. you must have wondered where did he go???
Yeah those are very good, the cD0 of yours is the latest stepping and the cC0 released before the cD0. The cC0's have the potential reaching approx. 1Ghz. The cD0's, God knows how farther it may OC. As u know, if you run each of them separately, they will OC very high.. Obviously those steppings don't match for the Dual setup, that could be one of the factor that's causing you from higher OC. I noticed the chips temps report differently. hmm... In this case OC'ing to 882 isn't that high afterall. I would say try minimize the setting on the BIOS such as In-order queue depth to default and L2 cache latency to default as well. Minimize the setting on the rest of BIOS setting that may make your system unstable. I assume you have good RAM right? you could try CAS333 to see if that might help any. And you'll have to increase the Vcore voltage. Your default on those chips should be around 1.70 on your cC0 and 1.75 on your cD0. Increase the voltage to at least 1.85V, don't worry you won't kill the CPU at this point as long as you have fairly descent HSF. Even with a standard factory HSF, it should handle it. If you have the I/O voltage option, increase that by couple of nothes too. That will help stablize the upped Vcore on the CPU and the rest of the system components. Good luck! :p

From all I've read about SMP systems and OCing it's ONLY gonna work if you get two CPU's with the same stepping mask, thus both cCO or both cDO. Right now you have two different CPU's needing different default voltages and you even have different cooling on it. Try to trade the cCO for a cDO or the cDO for a cCO and you can make that system fly!

Dang.. Really sucks to buy a bad cpu...(Looks at himself)

:( I bought this comp when I knew nothing about comps actually my dad bought it ... hehe everything turned out great but the old p3 500 which was a katmai core! :p

Thanks, sorry I did not get back in time, kinda screwed up my mobo.

Its allright now!

Try putting the quality fan on the primary CPU. The primary CPU should also be the older (or suspect) of a mis-matched pair. Contrary to some belief a dualie system can be run with a mis-matched pair as long as consideration is paid to timing issues. Specifically : using the older stepping as primary helps to prevent timing problems. The primary is under a more constant load and heats up a little more but onlt 1 deg(C) in my experience.

Last edited:
Back