• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stefong2

Registered
:) Hi i just need some info on the Prescott Processors. I hear that they give off alot of heat, and that would make sense since mine does too (530J 3.0GHz) temp. is at 49 degrees Celsious on Bios screen. My question is if at this temp am I losing high gaming performance do to this heat. Thanks in advance! :) :) :)

You should not be, Intel knew they would run hot and therefore made sure they could withstand the heat. The true question is what are you load temps when running prime and such?

your gaming will not suffer unless you hit the throttling temperature, at which point the CPU does not process as much as it can, in an effort to reduce heat.

I don't know how to use prime but I'm assuming that the cpu would be about 10 degrees higher during load than at the Bois. The only reson for concern on this matter is my experience of having small lagged pauses during high graphical games. I have a XFX Geforce 7800 GT and maybe I'm just expecting too much from it or maybe a component in my setup is faulty I have no idea :shrug:

With a 7800gt you shouldn't really get any stuttering from it. Do you have any software to monitor your temps? And which HSF are you using for your cpu?

Here is some of the best advice I can give you.

Download Prime95, and play with it. When you get it installed, if you're still not sure how it works, let me know, and I'll try to do up an online guide with screenshots.

That is THE test, that will show you what is *really* going on with your system, and whether it is stable or not. An OC that is not stable will cause you much greif. Intels will take alot. They are known for their stability, but if they are run outside of their max clocks, or too hot, then they can have you pulling your hair out.

Prime95 is not an option...it's a requirement.

Another program that is a must have is MemTest86.

Also what stang suggested...you defintely need to monitor those temps. You could be running 49 in the BIOS and be gaming at 75C! :eek: Ouch!

Another suggested program is called Throttle Watch. You can set it up to monitor while gaming, and it will show you if the CPU is throttling under load.

Throttling is a protective measure to keep the CPU from killing itself. It's not soemthing you want to rely on to save it. I can't prove it, but I've often suspected that some of these dead prescott's died, becasue they were allowed to throttle due to high OC's and temps before much was known about them. You hardly ever see a post about a dead one anymore, but early on, you can look at the older posts on here and see that it happened much more frequently.

Monitoring these things, and keeping them at their lowest temps will keep them performing, and will make them last alot longer.

These new CPU's are powerful, but you have to test and monitor them alot more than you used to. If a HSF gets too much dust in it, the temps can go through the roof.

Yep, when I first got my Prescott 2.8 using the stock intel HSF. Also google speedfan and download and run that, it should tell you your temps. When using Prime95 use the torture test, if your CPU is to hot or you are pushing your max OC it will error out, or the computer may reboot.

Also I HIGHLY doubt that you are getting to the throttle point, I would imagine that its around 75-80C. So download speedfan and prime95 and have fun.

Back