• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to XP or not to XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AgEnT0140

i've been busy for the past month and was amazed to se an XP chip. I have no clue what it is other than it's the new amd chip. What does the "+" at the end of the speed mean. And at www.newegg.com it had 1.4/1600+. what does that mean? so in other words, is it worth the $$ to jump from what i was gonna get(1.4ghz t-bird) to a XP?

Thanks,
Kevin

The 1600+ is like AMD's attempt to tell ppl that this card is = to a pentium 4 1600 or more. The new XP's are a bit more complicated to unlock but run a little cooler and, from what i hear, runs a little faster. I personally am going to wait for the price to drop since this is a new chip. Or, if you want the t-bird's prices have dropped a lot. You also have to make sure that your motherboard will handle a XP chip.

Well, i think i can handle unlocking it(if i need to). As for the prices $152 is pretty high but i might be able to shell it out. Do you know if the Epox 8K7A can handle an XP?

Yes it can handle all current speeds of the XP chip. So if you can get a hold of one I think we'll all be interested in hearing about your overclock. Good luck ;)

well i'll be geting it in about 2 weeks. I'm gonna have to get the Refurb. epox board so i can afford the proc. only $70 no shipping on the epox refurb! that's $70+$152. Thats means i gotta shell out 222. :) I was planning on spending more for the mobo and proc about 2 weeks ago. I wont be getting the 1800+ but the 1600+.I hope i can actually get it up to 1600. Got any heatsink suggestions?

Last edited:
Nevermind, i checked it out. The 1800+ chip running at 1.53 ghz is supposed to perform equal to a 1.8ghz t-bird. As far as benchmarks go the t-bird seems to be performing mhz for mhz with the xp. You can find the benchmarks here
http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/cpus/amd/1533xp/index3.html
i'm not sure how to make a hyperlink(new to the board)tried html but didn't work. Also an interesting benchmark for the p4 2.0 ;)

Back