• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ICS? UPnP? Slow Download Speeds, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

First of all my network in my house (2 computers total) uses a Netgear router and it supports UPNP. I am recieving unusually slow d/l speeds with bitcomet and think I am not receiving all possible connections because my peer list shows only local connections and there is supposed to be a mix of local and remote (I am talking about downloading very active files).

Now If I use a router on my network is ICS on the main computer really necessary, since the router is the gateway? I tried to enable UPNP on the router, in Bitcomet and I use Windows XP (services started) but still I receive an error "Status: No UpNP device found" :bang head

I also receive the error saying "Status: cannot find working ICS" even though I used the network wizard on both computers and I am able to print remotely. Any help is greatly appreciated, let me know what other information is needed.

ICS is not needed because it is for sharing internet connections. What you need to do is go to the options in bitcomet and make it choose a random port, remember it, then go to your router config and open that port for your computer on both TCP and UDP.

Don't bother with UPnP, just map the port manually. UPnP is a pile of garbage with several exploits. I suggest turning it off on your router.

Never used bitcomet, but run it's NAT check to see if the ports are properly mapped afterwards.

ManicMike said:
ICS is not needed because it is for sharing internet connections. What you need to do is go to the options in bitcomet and make it choose a random port, remember it, then go to your router config and open that port for your computer on both TCP and UDP.

But I am sharing a connection arent I? My router setup doesnt have an option for which protocol to set it for even though in most examples for Netgear it shows it. I have read that the proper port to use is in the Dynamic/Private port range 49152-65535 as defind by the IANA as those ports are not used and are not blocked by most ISP's.

su root said:
Never used bitcomet, but run it's NAT check to see if the ports are properly mapped afterwards.

So how do I run the NAT check after I have manually mapped the port?

dreamtfk said:
But I am sharing a connection arent I? My router setup doesnt have an option for which protocol to set it for even though in most examples for Netgear it shows it. I have read that the proper port to use is in the Dynamic/Private port range 49152-65535 as defind by the IANA as those ports are not used and are not blocked by most ISP's.

So how do I run the NAT check after I have manually mapped the port?
You do not need ICS. Make sure your router is set to DHCP, connect your computers directly to it, configure them for DHCP and reboot them.

The 49152-65535 range is for outgoing connections. You want to map an incoming connection (check what port your BT client uses), and follow the examples to map the port to the computer running BT.

I havn't used Bitcomet, so I don't know where it's checks are. There may be a tool in there to check that the ports are mapped correctly, otherwise, if it has an indicator that shows you whether a torrent is receiving incoming connections or not, use that to guage whether the port is mapped correctly.

Ok I didnt have any luck before but let me try from scratch and see If I did something wrong. I have read that if your using ICS that computers on the network will be leased addresses in the 192.168.0.0 range and my computer is 192.168.0.3. How can I check If I am using ICS and if so how do I disable it?

Ok I didnt have any luck before but let me try from scratch and see If I did something wrong. I have read that if your using ICS then the computers on the network will be leased addresses in the 192.168.0.0 range and my computer is 192.168.0.3. How can I check If I am using ICS for sure and if so how do I disable it?

You may be on ICS if one of your computers has two network cards, and the second computer is plugged into the 2nd NIC of the first computer.

In Network neighborhood, choose "View connections", right click the connection, properties, in the share (or advanced) tab, the option to share this connection should be unchecked.

Ok I reset the modem and made sure DHCP was being used on the router (ipconfig /all on both clients shows 192.168.0.1). I selected a random listen port for Bitcomet, turned off UPnP on both BC and router, set my computer to the static address of 192.168.0.3 and then fowarded the port to Bitcomet.

When I start BC it says its listening to the correct port except my speeds have not increased at all and my peer list still shows nothing but local connections and no remote connections at all. This particular file has about 50 seeders and my avg. d/l is only 25-30 KB/s :shrug:

Make sure the port you selected is above 1024.
Also, make sure you have your windows firewall, or any other firewalls turned off.

Also, how high are your uploads? Are they maxing your connection? Set your maximum upload to around 80% of your connection, or less. If your entire upload bandwidth is utilized, then your downloads will suffer.

Back