• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my CPU or MoBo dying? Some serious problems ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TR_B

Ok, trying to post here quickly before my pc locks up again ...

For normal work my cpu runs at 1600Mhz and the memory at 160 (memorydivider @ 166). Only when playing games I overclock mildly to 2000Mhz (which puts the memory at 200). My max stable overclock has always been 2250/225 (tested thoroughly).

Ok, now the problem. It started last week when playing BF2: pc locked up when loading the first map. Restarted pc, and now after 10 min of playing it locked up again. Ran 3dm2k1 demo to test, and again, pc locks up. Also with 3dm2k3, 2k5 and am3.

Put cpu back at 1600/160 and now after 20 min or so (3dm2k1): still locks up.
Tested the memory at 225Mhz (cpu @ 1800, no memorydivider) and memtest ran errorless for hours.

Memtest with 2000/200 seems to fine also though, but at 2050/205 it craps out completely. Note that it used to run fine even at 2250/225 (my MoBo limited my oc), but at 2050/205 even memtest locks up (at tst5 already in the 1st run) completely mainly with millions and millions of ECC errors (the 'normal' errors are a lot less, <50 even).

So all back to default clockspeeds and googled for what ECC errors actually stand for (don't have ECC memory ... is it the CPU cache?) ... then all of a sudden: BSOD with 'pfn_list_corrupt'. Eh? Restart and while looking for that bsod error my pc locks up completely ... no oc and only while interneting.

Swapped the 5900xt with my old gf2: no difference.
PSU is fairly new and voltages are very stable.
HDD shows no errors.
Memory seems to be fine aswell.

So what could it be? My CPU? Perhaps my MoBo?

One thing to note: my old PSU blew up a few months ago (when switching on the powerswitch on the PSU; PC was not running!), but with my new PSU my pc ran fine (still same max oc) up untill last week.
I didn't change anything in the BIOS, nor installed new hardware or software. So basically the exact same setup which used to run fine, now doesn't anymore.

Another thing: Sometimes speedfan kept on running in the background. It just kept on logging the voltages and temperatures to the logfile eventhough the pc was completely irresponsive to input (mouse/keyboard) and seemed to have crashed. Weird ...

I am not sure what it is, but I can tell you that my xp2400 behaved like this before it died completely. If you have a cpu to swap out you can find out for sure as that was the only way I found out. Good luck with it.

Back