• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a Website to Sale Prints/Art, v.Help***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
I have a little knowledge of HTML code and making websites and what not, but I am positive I am nowhere near enlightened enough to make the website I want. My girlfriend's father owns some art stores at the local malls where he sales framed prints, oil paintings, etc. He wants to have a website where he can also sale.

He wants it to be modeled off of this website.

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=1241876244&GCID=s15100x001-Main_Art&KEYWORD=art+prints

Say I wanted to make a website simular to that. What exactly would I need to do? Could I look at the HTML code from thate site and just play around with it until I figured it out? How do I look at their source code?

Should I just pay someone to model me a simular site?

If I was to pay someone, where would be my best place to look?
If I was to do it myself, would it be difficult?

ANY advice and help would be GREALTY APPRECIATED.

designing an e-commererce web site can be a challenge. You need ,,,
>a provider to host said site plus a domain name = $
>the basic web site layout for look and feel
>the backend database/s for inventory/sales/customer information etc.
>the e-commerce clearing house services visa/mastercard/paypal etc.

I see. Is there anyway you can point me in the right direction?

I just saw that allposters.com deals with php, jsp, asp, and SQL which I am not familiar with any. I just really wanted to help out my girlfriend's father as this is the girl I plan to marry and I want to make a good impression on him.

He has known me for about 3 years and this is the first thing he has asked me to do for him.

Starfoxer said:
I see. Is there anyway you can point me in the right direction?

I just saw that allposters.com deals with php, jsp, asp, and SQL which I am not familiar with any. I just really wanted to help out my girlfriend's father as this is the girl I plan to marry and I want to make a good impression on him.

He has known me for about 3 years and this is the first thing he has asked me to do for him.

many hosting companies let their users use free scripts for the backend of the site (ie. credit card transactions, etc.). there are also some free scripts that you could find online, just search google. another option would be ro integrate paypal into the site because it's pretty simple, although it doesn't allow the flexibility of some systems.

some reccomendations for hosting and domain registration would be godaddy.com for purchasing a domain and serverfly.com for hosting. i have used both of these multiple times and have never had a problem

Back