• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to 3DMark05...is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

Ok so I'm running the test, and all is smooth and fast until...the second pass with the balloon fighting the sea monster, and everything that follows. I'm getting 4 to 5 FPS on these. Now, the overall score is 8900, but this is a 7800GTX running 500Mhz/1.35Ghz, with Directx 9.0c. Is this normal? I expected a higher score somehow.

Yeah, the ballon with the massive shadowing is the CPU test. The highest you will see with current CPU's is 7. I hit 7 one time, but like the above poster the thing was clocked until it's veins were popping out.

Don't push a system like that if you are new. Work up to that slowly, and make sure you can "read" the system, and what it's acting like before you try that. You really have to watch things, and know what it's going to do or you can do damage.

It's best to take it easy and work up to it slowly. Alot of these guys do alot of work on their systems. Don't let them fool you. It's takes a LOT of work and time to get them to do these things. It does give you better performance, and that's why we do it...plus it's fun. :D

I'm happy with what I have, but was curious :D
Quick question, when artifacts start to show up in 3DMark, is that most likely the result of the core being too high or the RAM?

guillaume said:
I'm happy with what I have, but was curious :D
Quick question, when artifacts start to show up in 3DMark, is that most likely the result of the core being too high or the RAM?

It could be either one, but the majority of the time, it will act buggy and crash and BSOD and just generally act like a buttwipe if it's the RAM. It'll usually just throttle and artifact if it's the GPU, but both can cause it.

Cooler is better definitely applies to OC'ing. That's with any electronics. Electricity doesn't flow right when things heat up. It raises resistence, and that causes *more* heat, and then it just becomes a vicious cycle.

Cool, cooler, coolest, cold, colder coldest = Higher OC's = Faster = :cool: but also = :shrug: becasue you won't know where all your money went! :santa:

Cool, cooler, coolest, cold, colder coldest = Higher OC's = Faster = but also = becasue you won't know where all your money went!

Well put :D
My card is running rather cool, because of the 2nd Fan I added. O/ced to 500/1.4Ghz it idles at 39, my guess is the peak temp is well withing specs.

Back