• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple OSX Minimum requirements ? (The real ONEs, not the ones printed on the box)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lionsault_100

Apple OSX Minimum requirements ? (The real ONEs, not the ones printed on the box)

I'm looking to get a cheap apple box so I can learn my way around OSX, so when friends with an apple or i get a chance to make some money repairing an apple i could take advantage.

What are the true minimum requirements for OSX (tiger ?)

I say true because for XP it says 233 with 64mb of ram, but we all know thats a crock, when it's really 350mhz with 192mb of ram, give or take

What is the minimum spec set I can get away with to have a smooth ride on OSX,keeping in mind i probably won't be installing any high end applications, or doing anything besides getting aquainted with the OS

This is from Apple's site, not sure if it is the same as what is says on the box. Not being a Mac person, wouldn't a G3=P2, G4=P3, and G5=P4? I dunno

Requirements

* Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
* Built-in FireWire
* DVD drive for installation
* 256MB of RAM
* 3GB of available hard disk space (4GB if you install the developer tools)

From my experience I would say a G3 with 256 MB RAM would be the minimum you would want to try.

At work I run a eMac 800Mhz with 128MBs of RAM. That is kinda slow when I have a few apps open.

On the other work machines with 640MBs of RAM and the same box otherwise, it runs very nicely.

Tiger is awesome.

Lionsault_100 said:
could I get away with 233mhz ? G3

officially you'll need a mac with a built-in firewire port to run tiger, the slowest you'll find there would be a 300mhz or 350mhz power mac g3 blue & white. without a g4 and agp video mac os x tiger will be very sluggish.

i have run mac os X panther (10.3) on a 400mhz g3 blue and white with 128mb ram and it was barely usable, very slow. we have a similar blue and white system at work that has been upgraded with a radeon 7000 pci video card, 512 mb ram, and a G4 500mhz processor and it is okay with os x for basic stuff or running apache. Any g5, an imac g4, power mac g4, or ibook g4 is your best bet if you want to do anything meaningful.

Back