• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worthy Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Indyxc1

Well, right now I have a PNY 6800 NON Ultra.

It had the extra pipeline, and vertex shader software masked. So I unlocked both, so it's a 16x6 card. Likewise, it overclocks very well ruinng at 400 core, and 800 with the memory. Been running like this for a year.

But lately, I noticed in games that have large textures the it gets choppy. I was thinking of getting a used 6800 GT or Ultra to replace it.

I can't get a 7800, because I need an AGP card. And since my CPU is running ~4100 mhz i'm not really looking to upgrad to lga775.

Figure I could sell this card for around 120-150 and buy a GT/ULTRA for around 240.

Worth it?

Thanks
Indyxc

personally if I where you I would keep the card, or sell the cpu mobo and card an invest in a LGA775 system. The increase in performance would be minimal comparied to what you could get if you had PCI-E and a 7800 series card.

Yeah, but then again the upgrade to an LGA 775 CPU is going to be really trivial, considering I won't get much over 4100 in an O/C. Plus, I need new memory, board, when in reality the current setup can run 99% of everything.

just keep what you have now, not worth upgrading, unless you wanna do a whole overhaul, on your system. because your not going to get much better then what you have now already. trust me, if you wanna upgrade just get pci-express

Yeah, but then again the upgrade to an LGA 775 CPU is going to be really trivial, considering I won't get much over 4100 in an O/C. Plus, I need new memory, board, when in reality the current setup can run 99% of everything.

Apparently your not well informed. Standard oc on air for most 6x0 series chips is 4.0. Mine hit 4.0 on air, temps around 40C. You don't need new memory the 915 chipset takes DDR Memory and uses PCI-E and LGA775. But then again its up to you.

You're right I'm not too well informed. I've been out of the computer loop since last spring. Essentially, computers are my winter hobby. :)

Anyway, I guess you guys are right that is is a bad idea to upgrade. But then again isn't it a bad idea to get a 915 based solution that is limited for the future by only running DDR 1?

Also, if I'm looking for 4.5GHZ + on water, which 6xx seris intel is the best? I've been looking a bit in the cpu forum, but doesn't seem like there is one clear choice.

Thanks
Indyxc

This was said before, but should shouldn't upgrade the card. Your gains won't be very high and definately not worth the money. If you upgrade shell out the cash to buy a new system and just keep your old one (current one) to use as a folding rig or a ftp server.

Back