• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New pelt setup (do these parts look right?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

Ok, I think I got together the parts I need to do a pelt setup. Can anyone verify if it all looks good? Thanks.

Maze4-1 CPU waterblock: (pcpowerzone or pcpowerzone) (Does anyone know if I need the one with the mounting bracket?)
Maze4-1 GPU waterblock: (pcpowerzone)
320W (50mmx50mm) Peltier: (15V max, 26A max, potted) (ebay)
110W (40mmx40mm) Peltier: (15V max, 10A max, potted) (ebay)
Meanwell 480-15: (trcelectronics)
Power relay: (bestbyteinc)
Neoprene bundle of varying thickness: (1/16”, 1/8”,1/4”, 3/8” & 1/2”) (pcpowerzone)
Conformal coating: Spray, 12oz (bestbyteinc)
Dielectric grease: Luberex, 2oz. (bestbyteinc)

Last edited:
The list looks good, I personally like swiftech but whatever. You can get dieletric grease, conformal coating spray, and power relay, from local shops like radio shack/home depot, no need to waste money on shipping if you don't need to.

Like I said before in the other thread, you need another radiator... there is no way one BIXIII is going to be able to handle a CPU, a GPU, and two pelts adding up to 400+ watts. I didn't have room in my rig so I made an external box that sits on top of the computer.

Attachments

• SideView.JPG
    SideView.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 153
Wow, that's an amazing setup you've got there! You made that box?! It looks like a factory made extension to the case you have below it. That's great! . . .

I'm personally trying to keep it all self-contained to the case I already have, although I really haven't quite worked out exactly how. I measured and found that I can fit the Meanwell 480-15 at the bottom under the pump but I don't know where I could put an extra heater core. Maybe at the top :shrug: But I realized that I better just run the CPU pelt and see how things go with that first. Then I'll put the video pelt if things are under control. . .

Thanks for the tip on the conformal coating, thermal grease, and relay. I'll go pick them up tonight. I'm not sure what kind of relay exactly I need. From seeing the one at bestbyte, I assume that the 4-pin molex would connect to my ATX, and the green plug to the Meanwell? I'm not sure if I can match that. I'll go see right now. . .

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
Just go to Radio shack and ask for a 12Vdc relay. Your meanwell probably draws 6-7amps so you probably will want a 12Vdc coil rated at 10 amps. A SPDT will suffice, i got a DPDT just in case I want to add more things to the system. Make sure you fully understand how to wire up the relay or you will really mess things up. If you don't know , ask and i'll help.

Thanks VTpelt. . . .

I dropped by Radio Shack last night and it looks like the parts are going to cost about the same as if I just ordered on-line. So I figured I would just save myself the extra work and get this $14 relay from bestbyte. . .

But I do still have a question about hooking it up. As I mentioned, I see that there is a 4-pin molex which I assume connects to my ATX to signal the relay to turn on/off the Meanwell. But I don't see where exactly that green connector goes. Does it somehow connect to the AC input terminals of the Meanwell? Also, how is power from the wall introducted? I know I need to cut a hole in the case and mount that power chord outlet and plug a power chord to it. But how does that outlet connect to the relay? And how does all of this fit in with the Meanwell SP-480-15 having "Built-in remote ON-OFF control" according to it's spec chart here? . . .

Lastly, is there any reason why it might be better to get one of these more expensive relays (sidewindercomputers, frozencpu, jab-tech). Or will the cheaper one from bestbyte work just fine?

I really appreciate your help. I definately don't want to mess this up.

Revivalist said:
Thanks VTpelt. . . .

I dropped by Radio Shack last night and it looks like the parts are going to cost about the same as if I just ordered on-line. So I figured I would just save myself the extra work and get this $14 relay from bestbyte. . .

But I do still have a question about hooking it up. As I mentioned, I see that there is a 4-pin molex which I assume connects to my ATX to signal the relay to turn on/off the Meanwell. But I don't see where exactly that green connector goes. Does it somehow connect to the AC input terminals of the Meanwell? Also, how is power from the wall introducted? I know I need to cut a hole in the case and mount that power chord outlet and plug a power chord to it. But how does that outlet connect to the relay? And how does all of this fit in with the Meanwell SP-480-15 having "Built-in remote ON-OFF control" according to it's spec chart here? . . .

Lastly, is there any reason why it might be better to get one of these more expensive relays (sidewindercomputers, frozencpu, jab-tech). Or will the cheaper one from bestbyte work just fine?

I really appreciate your help. I definately don't want to mess this up.
Wire relay kit per file,http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/pdf/psu-123.pdf. Disregard in-line diode shown as your relay is a DC type. Meanwell remote ON/Off feature is not used. Be sure to wire the relay contact BLACK conductor to AC socket HOT blade. This will ensure that the wall outlet circuit breaker protection is functional for the LOAD side of the circuit.

There is no need to buy a more expensive relay as long as your Meanwell SP-480-15 AC input voltage/current requirements of 115V @ 6.5A does not exceed the relay contact set voltage/current rating which should be imprinted on the relay case.

Last edited:
You need a cold plate for those pelts also so that the cold gets evenly ditrubuted. you can buy the 40x40 coldplate from Frozen CPU and i'm not sure where you can buy the 50x50 might have to make one of those

Thanks for the replies guys!

@ Premmer - That guide is exactly what I needed! Thank you. So from the looks of that schematic, does that mean I need to buy some wire and solder wires between the relay chip, the power chord connector, and the Meanwell? I was hoping the whole procedure would only involve plugging stuff in. . . . As far as the current rating of the relay, I'm going to have to call and find out. I know that relay is being sold for use with the Meanwell Sp-320 which has a 5A rating on the AC input. I hope the relay can go up to 6.5A. . . .

@ speed bump - Thanks for the warning. I'm pretty sure those blocks come with the cold plates and screws already all machined to work together. Look closely in this picture. . . .

Attachments

• pcpowerzone_1865_21442747.jpg
    pcpowerzone_1865_21442747.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 132
Revivalist said:
Thanks for the replies guys!

@ Premmer - That guide is exactly what I needed! Thank you. So from the looks of that schematic, does that mean I need to buy some wire and solder wires between the relay chip, the power chord connector, and the Meanwell? I was hoping the whole procedure would only involve plugging stuff in. . . . As far as the current rating of the relay, I'm going to have to call and find out. I know that relay is being sold for use with the Meanwell Sp-320 which has a 5A rating on the AC input. I hope the relay can go up to 6.5A. . .
You will have to buy some stranded 3-conductor rubber-insulated line cord rated at 115V/6.5A minimum. I would buy (3) crimp-type push-on terminals for the AC socket and (3) crimp-type ring lugs for the power supply AC input. Both items must be sized for the wire gauge used. Measure the spade on the socket. It will be .187 or .250-inches. The supply screws are metric so size the ring lug accordingly. You will need a crimping tool.

It is imperative that the wire size used between the TEC and the supply output be sized to minimize any voltage drop. Number 13 stranded wire would be a reasonable size and is quite pliable. Connections at these (4) points must be totally secure.

Last edited:
Premmer said:
You will have to buy some stranded 3-conductor rubber-insulated line cord rated at 115V/6.5A minimum. I would buy (3) crimp-type push-on terminals for the AC socket and (3) crimp-type ring lugs for the power supply AC input. Both items must be sized for the wire gauge used. Measure the spade on the socket. It will be .187 or .250-inches. The supply screws are metric so size the ring lug accordingly. You will need a crimping tool.

It is imperative that the wire size used between the TEC and the supply output be sized to minimize any voltage drop. Number 13 stranded wire would be a reasonable size and is quite pliable. Connections at these (4) points must be totally secure.
Awesome info! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I think I'll just print out your post and run over to Radio Shack with it and see if they can help me pick out all that stuff. The power supply won't be here until late next week so I won't be able to make more progress till then. . . .

Thanks again.

Hey reviv, did you ever get that dfi ultra-d ?
anyhow I am puting together almost the same package but going thought about going with 40x40 pelt @226w. I would also like some advice from vtpelt and others if posable.
If I am going to cool that pelt and one gpu maybe two gpu in future what would be the best rad, I am not apose to heater core if that would be best (smaller the better as I have the pc-v1000)?
I Already have a moded mcp-350 pump 1/2 in strait and 1/2 out, so pump is up to some big jobs.
what is thew best block to go with to cool the pelt as I have been looking at the danger den maze 4 with pelt cold plate is there better blocks out there?

Ohh and if VT in VTPelt stands for tech sorry about the game that I just watched that one was a hard one to swallow....
by the way this is for a opty cabye on dfi ultra-d (and you all should buy one of these chips this thing just cooks!!!!!).

Back