• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help on X1800XL Cooling (Duct Mod)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Ok everything I got is up to date in the sig. Heres a picture of the case area I'm dealing with.

Test1.jpg

Now if not mistaken I can move down my sound card another slot. Do i really need the audio cable attached to the DVD drive anymore if I use it to burn DVD's and Convert Movies?

Anyways do you have any suggestions of how to do this? I'm definatly limited no space, this card is huge, and I'd like to refrain from cutting the case.

I was thinking of a 120/92/80mm fan (what ever works/fits) flat against the drive cage on the graphics card side, and cardboard, but then thinking about it would the cardboard get to hot? Should I think of using something else that is a little more heat resistant and what would I use? Besides the fact is it easy to handle with little tools. I was also thinking of adding a secondary fan on the back side of it opening 2 back plates and letting the air flow out.

So basically just boxing the bottom half of the card in so all the air that enters the card area, is removed out the backside of the case.

So let the idea's roll in for suggestions to this or commits ;) Anything really I would like to try something at least tonight and see where the results take me.

I'm not sure what to tell ya, cause that Zalman HS makes it difficult (air exausting in nearly all directions)....but I'd liek to add that perhaps u can open up some PCI bracket openings and work w/ those....I'd think tha'd be effective. Good luck!

Nice parts,

For the sound card, you do not need the audio cable because more than likely, it is already running digital on you IDE cable.

Also, dont you have a intake fan that can blow air over the card? You might also try modding a PCI slot fan so that it can draw cool air from outside and duct it to the GPU fan. Just a thought.

Bryan D

Do you have a fan hole on your side panel? If not, I would suggest cutting one directly over the video card and have a 120mm bring fresh air toward the card.

LOL so far we have 3 guys (that includes me) agreeing on the PCI slot ducting.

Anyway, if your planning on spending $$$ Arctic Cooling should be putting out an ATI Silencer for that model soon. Prolly will be priced ~33-35 bucks? If not, I hear the model for the x850 works....might wanna research that though.

I have a Super LAN boy too, I actually put (squeezed) a 25 mm (I think) 120 fan between the hard drive bay and the card (took out the one on the front of the case). I h ave a x800XL, which is also a long card. The squeeze is tight, and I hope to end up using a 90* molex for the video card.

I still have to duct it, but I feel it works pretty well. With a Zalman cooler (I cant remeber the exact number name) with the fan off, I can run any 2D program all day. Just remeber to turn it back on before you game though; I hit 87*C the other day, and almost soiled myself.

Back