• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for an upgrade, feedback appreciated.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jEevion

Hello, it's been a while since I've been on these forums. I came here for help on building a new system and most of my final decisions were formed as a result of the extensive feedback I received from a lot of people. So now, I am in search of upgrading my computer, particularily the motherboard and graphics card. Here is how my computer looks now:

AMD 64 3200+ 'Winchester' s939 2.0GHz 512mb L2 @ 2.5GHz
Thermalright XP-90 HS /w Vantec Tornado Case fan mounted on HS (fan controller)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum NForce3 (AGP)
OCZ Dual Channel Platinum Rev. 2 2x512mb @ 250MHz (3-4-4-10)
ASUS Radeon 9800XT (AGP)
SB Audigy2 ZS
WD Raptor 74GB
Seagate Barracuda 200MB
Windows XP Professional Edition

As mentioned earlier, I'm probably looking for a PCIe motherboard and a new video card. I do not wish to spend an arm and a leg for these two components. I live in Canada and will be ordering these parts from www.ncix.com - no particular budget but something reasonably affordable and high performance. All feedback is appreciated. I may think about a new processor as well, or perhaps this one still has some time. Thanks a lot for your time, looking forward to reading all of your feedback!

Could you tell us exactly how much not spending an arm and a leg is? (At this point most of us don't have a leg left to stand on.:))

Well, since my time spent on the computer has increasingly decreased (does that make sense? :/), I don't want to spend too much, only enough to justify the upgrade, so my guess would be around $500CDN, maybe $600CDN max, for the motherboard and video card. Again, I will be purchasing the items from www.ncix.com. Thanks again.

Okay, there is no question that this is the best board you can get.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13825&vpn=LP-UT-NF4-ULTRA-D&manufacture=DFI
This video card is a winner and it's a great deal.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16647&vpn=SP-X800GTO256E-OEM&manufacture=SAPPHIRE
We are paying more for this in the States because these can be so easily upgraded. (Hey, I wonder if they ship south?) See this thread.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=415860
Wow, just over $400CDN! Way under budget. I must be ill! It's easy to spend more money. It's spending less that's an art form!:)

Thanks for the reply! Upon browsing the ncix website a few days ago, I myself saw this board and figured it to be a good choice.

However, the video card you suggested is AGP, and that motherboard is PCIe.

My main goal is to increase performance in 3D games. If this is possible without having to update my mainboard, please suggest a card that will have a dramatic increase in games.

That card you recommended, is it a good performing card with exceptional overclocking capabilities? If so, I may just get that and not worry now about the motherboard. My main game is HL2, now with Lost Coast and Aftermath around the corner, I will probably want a card with SM3.0, and have good core clocks and perform well. Again, all feedback is welcomed. Thanks again!

I do not know if that softmod works on the AGP version. Sorry, about the mistake. I got so excited when I saw it I forgot to double check. You may not want to sink that much money into an AGP card since it's on it's way out. Just for the record, there is the ASRock ULI1695 board that has an AGP and a pci-e slot and it sells for under $100CDN.

Actually rseven, that card you linked to is the X800GTO, not the X800GTO2. Despite the name, there is a large difference between the two.

I looked into this x800 GTO2 and it appears it has become an extremely scarce card. Consequently, NCIX has removed it from their inventory. Supposing I went with the DFI board, what would be a good card to match with it, around the $350-$400CDN range?

Also one more important question.

Will this DFI board be able to retain my current clock of 2500MHz? I would be most displeased to find that the board will cause my CPU to downclock in comparison to its current state. Thanks a bunch.

Damn, that's two strikes against me. You may not want any more second rate suggestions from me. The board is first rate, but video cards I'm not as up on. Maybe someone else can jump in here ad help out.

Unfortunately the x800 GTO2 is no longer available, and no indications are given to suggest it's future availability. Thus, I may need a different card. Does anyone have any suggestions or any comments on the other one I posted? Any feedback is appreciated, once again.

My dad is looking into upgrading his computer as well, so I thought about doing this.

I'll give him my Neo2 Platinum and the Winchester 3200+, reduce to 2.2GHz and use the stock HSF, and keep my XP-90 and Tornade case fan for the new CPU.

For a new processor: (currently on sale)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14828&promoid=1046

Motherboard is still the one aforementioned, DFI. Also, the motherboard when processor when purchased together will result in a free Steam Bronze account.

Video card, unknown so far, I may wait to get my hands on an X1800 of some sort. Still open to suggestions on this one.

Back