• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

posible original water cooling idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatshlink

All the places that I read, and commin sence of corse, say that the goal is to make the water go faster throught the block(s), and slower through the radiator. so my idear is, why not use 2 pumps. have a slow pump to go through the radiator and an indipendant fast pump to go through the block.:eek:

Interesting idea. It would certainly be a more elaborate setup than most, but we OCers like to go the extra mile to get those extra cycles.
I'm already getting some ideas, but it's a little late for me to trust anything that comes out of my brain. Maybe if I can't fall asleep tonight, at least I'll greet the morning with a well thought out implementation of your idea.
Nice thinking out of the box. :cool:

that has been sugested before....
few problems come of it.
2x the chance of pump failure
and cost goes up.
also the other pump has to pump the same amount of water as the other.....or you will run dry.
but if you could ge a working model, i am sure we would all like to see it

jay said:
that has been sugested before....
few problems come of it.
2x the chance of pump failure
and cost goes up.
also the other pump has to pump the same amount of water as the other.....or you will run dry.
but if you could ge a working model, i am sure we would all like to see it

Running dry? Bleh, not for me. I'm using an aquarium as my resevoir. I could probably pull this off.

~RT~

*sighs* This makes no sense to me, at all. The volume of water in the system is relatively constant (even if you were using evaporative cooling, this is still the case, for pumping purposes).
Now, you can't "stretch" or compress water, at least not at normal temperatures/pressures. Can someone possibly explain to me, how you expect to get it to move faster/slower through different areas of the same (relatively) closed system, BY USING DIFFERENT SPEED PUMPS???
The only variable that is going to affect the speed ratio of the flow through the water block, and the heat exchanger (radiator), is their relative volume.
In other words, if the radiator has 10 times the volume of the water block, the water will flow 10 times slower through the radiator, than the water block.
*sighs again* This is pretty basic stuff, people.

This maybe simple type stuff, but Ive thought about the same thing a few times, just havent been able to get it down quite yet.. gimmie a lil more time.. Ill get it :D

Basiclly it would have to be an open system so that it wouldnt force the faster pump to run at the lower speed, but I can see it as being possible.. just getting the right layout... again, still working...

you will need two resivors as the water running through a single run will all be the same speed, a better idea would be to use 15mm pipes on the radiator and 5mm holes in the water block

Ok heres what I came up with on a generic run-down... Its not great, just used MsPaint to create the design... But Pump 1 is slow, it runs throught the radiator, pump 2 is fast runs through the block... granted your mixing water in this so its not going to do the best possible, but at least in theory the heat should remain in the top of the container which is being pumped out at a slower rate to the radiator. The cold water from the radiator is being pumped directly into the bottom portion of the tank, where again is being pushed to the block, there would be a gap in the resivor to allow the water to go between so one overflowing wouldnt be an issue... get what Im saying? and how effective would this be? I see some possiblitys but also some drawbacks...

Actually looking it over again I think it could be used as a closed system as well... granted again there would be some drawbacks, hot water mixing with the colder water, but I think it would be plausible....

Please correct me if I'm wrong but thats what the watercooling in the Koolance case does. I mean it has two pumps one pushing out the water and the other bringing it back.

Ok example. Of what am thinking anyway :)

If I have 5 G/H thought my WB and 1 G/H thought my radiator.

4 G/H more flow in the water block means I will get 4 times more heat in the reservoir that I need to remove. Will the slower rate of movement in the radiator make up for this. Am not so sure it would.

I dont think this would provide much better cooling.

Maybe unloaded you would see a drop.

m1066ad is correct there is only so much thermal capacity in a cooling system. Changing the rate of flow will not change the overall capacity of the system flow rates dont mean as much as most people think.

Thats my 2 cents anyway. At some point I hope to prove this ;)

Yea, I don't really seeing this helping all that much. It's similar to what happens when the flow in the water-block is too low. The warmer the water gets (more specificly the closer the water temp is to the heat source's temp) the slower the water will absorb heat... so the cooler the water is in a radiator (again, the closer the water temp is to the ambient air temp) the slower it will lose heat. So basicly the slower the water is in the radiator, the slower the actual loss of heat becomes. Sure, the water coming out of the radiator will be cooler with a lower flow rate, but the total heat you lose will also be less because you're cooling less volume of water per minute.

You could also have problems if the water goes through too fast, but that's because of other issues, not heat transfer.

I can't tell how much sense that makes... haven't had much sleep. I'm pretty sure having a lower flow rate in the radiator would lead to less total cooling, but the only real way know is to test it.

the only way you can have the water moving through the block faster than it goes through the radiator is to have 2 radiators, and split the flow of water right before them, and then recombine the two streams in the reservoir.

We're talking about having 2 pumps in the same reservior (or so I'm assuming). One pump would send water from the reservior to the cpu and then back to the reservior. The other pump would send water to the radiator and then back to the reservior. In this case both would be pumping the same water (indirectly), but at different speeds.

Yes some would be, but I THINK that if you seperate the two pumps by an almost solid wall then most of the hotter water should stay on the top of the res. Granted I understand that this is far from perfect, none of them are, but just an idea...

Simple current mathematics

Ok I can't resist "piping in" as it were.

You don't need two separate systems to get water to flow at different rates through a single closed system, and here is why:

If your pump moves 50 gallons of water per hour at its 1/2" outlet, then 50 gallons of water will travel through this opening at a certain current, not how _much_ per hour, but how _far_ per hour, velocity or speed of the water.

Agreed? ok next:

Lets say you have a section of tube that holds 50 gallons. How about 10, 5-gallon buckets all connected. Lets say this is 20 feet long. Then for your pump to move 50 gallons per hour, the water travels through the bucket-tube at 20 feet per hour.

At the other extreme:

Let's say you had 50 gallons worth of 3/8 inch aquarium tubing. It would take around 8750 feet of this tubing. That would mean your pump would move its 50 gallons of water at 8750 feet per hour.

Get the picture?

What I am saying is that all you need to do is vary the volume, or more specifically the cross-sectional surface area, of your circuit to vary the speed. You don't need a new design with multiple pumps and reservoirs.

Make a smaller diameter path for you waterblock and a larger one for your radiator, and you will be all set.

Next time we will talk about the temperature variations caused by the speeding up and slowing down of your liquid. :p

BJL;)

Back