• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded router firmware, now problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cradivonyk

I have an older Linksys BEFSR41 v2 router. I just updated to the latest firmware and now my AIM connection drops every 15-20mins. It is happening on my desktop and my laptop which are both running 2 different versions of AIM so I can only associate it with the router update. Any ideas what might cause this? I didn't alter any settings in the update.

try downgrading it and forwarding the aim ports (I forget which ones)....good luck :)

Benvanz said:
try downgrading it and forwarding the aim ports (I forget which ones)....good luck :)

Wow, I don't know what the deal is with that latest firmware revision, but it sucks. I just downgraded to a reportedly "very stable" revision and everything is much better. AIM has been up for almost an hour now, and my internet connection seems a lot faster. With the latest revision, a speedtest on dslreports gave me a DL speed of 100kbps which WAAAAY below my old test scores. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
By the way, the speed test I did yesterday after I installed the "new" revision, my speed test was only around 100KB/sec.... well, I just did one and I got 631.5 KB/sec

Glad to hear you found it! I was going to suggest "downgrading" to an older firmware or just switching back to the one you used, but it looks like you got it. :)

My Actiontec DSL modem/router/wifi was completely the opposite. I noticed improvements by about 50 percent as far as wireless networking goes by upgrading the firmware. I was extremely shocked.

the befsr41 has had loads of bad firmware revisions. this is one linksys box i always recommend people stear clear of.

TimDgsr said:
the befsr41 has had loads of bad firmware revisions. this is one linksys box i always recommend people stear clear of.
Well, I got it like 3 years ago... I am switching to the WRT54G in a couple weeks... wired ethernet is soooo pre-2002 :)

Back