• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you do with a $1,300-$1,400 budget?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stavros

The title says it all. I'm shooting between 1,300 and 1,400, but want to keep it closer to the 1,300 side. Monitor is already picked out: Acer AL1722h 17" LCD Monitor Not the exact one I was looking at, but close enough. I think the other one was $250.00. This will be used for gaming. Thanks for your time.

Depends, do you game more or multitask more

Game:
X2 3800+
7800GTX

Multitask:
X2 4400+
7800GT

Others:
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB
OCZ PowerStream 520W
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus10 250GB $90, or 300GB for $110
DFi LP Ultra-D

I would go for some A64x2 + 2x 7800gtx...
Realizing htat i just used up your budget, ever think of doing a fund raiser? / sell your soul or car for parts.

Hehe. I'm not selling my car. Not a chance. I haven't had it six months. I realized last night that I forgot to mention that the monitor is part of the budget. I'm too poor to afford SLi especially two 7800s. I know I'll end up gaming more. I'm not exactly positive what people mean by multitasking.

Sound has me a bit concerned because I don't know if onboard sound is going to suffice.

Bling isn't a priority right now. Performance is, but yes Aphex, it includes cpu, mobo, ram, vid card, cooling, PSU, case, HD's, optical drives, ect.

And for case I've been considering the SUPER LANBOY, but I've heard some compliants about airflow.

DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D $123.99
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ $315.00
Crucial Ballistix 2GB PC4000 $296.00
eVGA 7800GT w/COD2 $333.00
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 250GB $94.99
BenQ DW1640 Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer $39.99
OCZ Powerstream 520W $120.00
Antec Super LANBoy $68.31

Total: $1391.28

I didn't know if you wanted to OC or not, if you don't plan on OCing, you can save about $200 by dropping down to 2GB of OCZ Value ram, getting a more stable motherboard, and dropping the Powerstream for a Forton.

He needs to include the monitor in the budget. I would recommend getting a cheaper 2 GB RAM kit, maybe value RAM if you won't be overclocking a lot, but A64's are divider friendly anyway. I would also consider getting a single-core CPU, like a Venice core A64 3000+ or 3200+, especially since multitasking isn't a priority.

Update!

After wracking my brains on the perplexing PC situation, I think I've come up with an ideal compromise on price/performance ratio. Here goes:

Case- Antec super lanboy - $76.00

PSU- Fortron AX500-A - $91.00

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego - $233.00

Mobo- EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra - $105.00

Video Card- eVGA 7800GT w/COD2 (off Pricegrabber.com) - $333.00

RAM- G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) - $221.00

Optical Drive- BenQ Black IDE DVD Burner Model DW1640 - $39.99

SOund Card- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS - $70.00

HS&F- HERMALRIGHT XP-90 ($51.99) and ?

Current Total(Shipping Not Included)
$1168.99

Most prices are from Newegg. When the time comes to order I probably won't order all from Newegg just to save a buck. Feel free to comment.

[Edit] I don't know if the price has come down (even a few dollars) so it might not be spot-on, but it's close. Also, feel free to input anything I missed.
I also need an OS. I'm thinking Windows XP, mostly because I know next to nothing about Programming.

[Edit] (11-15-05; 3:10 PM) What fan would compliment the Heatsink?

Last edited:
The Opteron 165 is a dual core with 2x1MB of cache, and its at about $290, I'd say its definitely worth the extra money from the 3700+.

If you can't go for that, might I suggest saving money and going for a Opteron 144, 146, or 148? They all are single cores and have 1MB of cache, and they are around $140, $160, and $190 respectively. Plus the Opterons should be able to clock better then the 3700+. Take a look at: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=423238 for more info.

Also the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi's lowest model is at $100, which would yield really good performance upgrades from your 2ZS.

Windows XP Pro w/SP2 is like $90 at some places. If you know someone with an extra copy, you can borrow it...

I'd get one of those opterons and OC that, that would save ya 100 bucks on the CPU and offer same performahnce OC'ed.
RAM seems decent, case, PSU, mobo, VC...HSF I'd go for a XP-90 or XP-120
I don't like your sound card choice...I think creative cards are overated and based on ancient tech...also why the ZS model?

Opteron 146 and X-Fi would both be good upgrades. I would get either an LG or NEC burner, I don't know if that BenQ is any good.

well,

4000+
1gig of ocz good ram
Asus non sli 8n nforce4 mobo
160 samsung sata 3.0 drive
7800gt from bfg or something
plus 500 wat psu from rosewill

be about in that budget

I think at Wally World Win XP SP2 is like $90, so I think I have that base covered.

[Edit] I picked the Audigy ZS because it had come down in price. I'm not looking for top of the line sound. I share a room with my brother, so I can't take advantage of a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. I live in a house with 4 other people besides me, so I'm not going to have a theatre-like soundsystem. They'll be yelling at me to turn it down.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about the Heatsink and I'm pretty sure that I'll be going with the XP-90. One question about the XP-90. Is it really that loud? It's going to be set up under my loft, so I don't want something too loud, but I want something that cools well. I have no idea about the fan, so that leads to the question, "which fan would compliment the XP-90. Other heatsink reccomendations are welcome.

I've read the reviews on the Sound Blaster X-Fi and they say this one isn't good for games. I don't really know much about sound cards, so there again reccommendations are welcome.

[Edit] Is the Opteron 146 dual-core?

No, the Opteron 146 isn't dual core.

The XP-90 itself doesn't make any noise. The fan you choose will effect how loud it is. It will take any 90mm fan AFAIK.

Back