• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi-threaded games using X2 vs single core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

I guess y'all are getting tired of me posting questions every day, but here's the newest one :). I'm considering either the 4400+ X2 Toledo, or the 4000+ san diego. yes I know...their prices aren't close, but those are the two I was thinking of getting. With the newer games coming out (more have support for multithreading), how big of a performance difference would I expect from just the normal 3700+ and a 4400+ in MULTITHREADED application and games? Has anyone tried both?

pp man said:
My own personal opinion would be the X2 4400
Could you maybe tell me why? You jus threw a ballot at me; justify your answer please.

If you can afford a X2 is make ZERO cense not to buy one.
SO what if most of the games today cant use dual cores...
The fact of the matetr is your OS is still running behind the scenes, along with loads of stuff you most likly have running, they sure will like that free core.

Also your desktop ride will be so smooth, you will thank yourself over and over again.
And this is even more true when you go back to a single core system

JaY_III said:
If you can afford a X2 is make ZERO cense not to buy one.
SO what if most of the games today cant use dual cores...
The fact of the matetr is your OS is still running behind the scenes, along with loads of stuff you most likly have running, they sure will like that free core.

Also your desktop ride will be so smooth, you will thank yourself over and over again.
And this is even more true when you go back to a single core system

I agree !!!!! :cool:

The X2 is a very quick chip, but it will hardly help your framerates. If you want to overclock the hell out of a chip and get a framerate increase, get the 4000+.

I opted on the 4400+ after the price drop because it keeps up with the 4000+ in games, and almost doubles 3DStudio Max rendering performance.

fuzzba11 said:
The X2 is a very quick chip, but it will hardly help your framerates. If you want to overclock the hell out of a chip and get a framerate increase, get the 4000+.

FACT X2 will not HURT your frame RATES
X2's overclock just as well as single cores.

even if you get 50Mhz more out of a single core, is 5FPS worth a slower computer?

either an x2 or a dual core opty would be great - il never go back to single core since going x2 - its just as good at gaming as my single core san diego and multitasks like crazy :D

cx323 said:
i know ur looking at the 4400+, but the opty's seem to be clocking well and i think you should look at a 170 or 175. the 175 is only 461 at monarch: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120343
I too agree that the opty is nice, I'm just not sure how I feel about my new processor not being fully 64 bit.

Opties are still gonna be around for a while correct? I have to wait til Christmas before I buy my processor.

Look at that price difference! Shame on you newegg.
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120343
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584

Last edited:
Herr Rogers said:
I too agree that the opty is nice, I'm just not sure how I feel about my new processor not being fully 64 bit.

Opties are still gonna be around for a while correct? I have to wait til Christmas before I buy my processor.

Look at that price difference! Shame on you newegg.
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120343
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584

what do you mean by not being 64bit? the opterons are just like any other a64 in that regard.

cx323 said:
what do you mean by not being 64bit? the opterons are just like any other a64 in that regard.

The AMD Opteron™ processor, enabling simultaneous 32- and 64-bit computing, represents the landmark introduction of the AMD64 architecture. -Monarch Computers

AMD Opteron 175 Dual-Core 2.2GHz 1MB (per core) 64/32-Bit (939) (OEM)-Monarch Computers

Why is it 64/32 bit Instead of just 64 bit like the X2?

Herr Rogers said:

Well if you wana get all technical on us....

the 8086 is based on the 4004
So we have a 4Bit CPU hacked for 8bit called the 8086
Intel then hacked it again for 16 bit aka 80286
Once more it was hacked up for 32bit aka 80386
then AMD desided to hack it for 64bit aka K8

So what if your CPU is it not fully 64 if you wana get all technial, as its based on 4bit tech, but it has 64bit memory addressing and tahts cool with me

/smart *** mode off
32/64bit means, it can run 32bit programs without emulation or issues, aka fully backward compatible

Herr Rogers said:
Why is it 64/32 bit Instead of just 64 bit like the X2?
the X2 is also 32/64bit

gotcha. thanks. That makes me view the opty a bit better. I might get one. I'm not sure why you kept saying "getting all technical", when that's what we're talking about...technology, and more specifically, the inner workings of one! Seems pretty "technical" to me.

Herr Rogers said:

One is retail, the other is not.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...Code=M&Product_Code=120342&Category_Code=NA_2

Same price. Don't be dissing Newegg.

EDIT on the other hand though, the 165 is much higher on the Egg than on Monarch. Quite a bit, like $175.

Herr Rogers said:
gotcha. thanks. That makes me view the opty a bit better. I might get one. I'm not sure why you kept saying "getting all technical", when that's what we're talking about...technology, and more specifically, the inner workings of one! Seems pretty "technical" to me.

Becuase we are having fun here and we all know CPU have no tech in them at all.. VooDoo Magic is what makes them work, and VooDoo Magic is what that so called Burning your CPU in is all about

Back