• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neo2 tricks to get this stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I got my new replacment neo2 the other day and have had little time to do more than set it all up and get back running. retired my mobile barton system, which will be for sale in the classifieds soon and basicly, went back to what i was doing heh.

I played around with different bio's this morning though, and i have to say, getting one with a working 183 divider was such a godsend.
Before, my options to get a balanced ddr/htt ratio was somwhat limited. my ddr would run 255mhz 2.5-3-3 in dual channel, because one of my sticks was older and the other, newer. different revision of the same memory, one with brainpowered, one without.

in any event. this board was made this year. seems to do a little better than my last years model but still not quite stable. its bench stable up to this speed, but only gets through a few 3dmark tests at 1.66 volts.

Anyone know the absolute voltage limit for both the neo2 and the athlon 64 winchester? it just locked up in the test which would indicate to me it is getting too hot. thsi is very possible witht he aircooling. when i get my watercooling replumbed, ill try again i guess. but a jump to 1.7 volts made the system reboot.

ah well. chip benched at 2700 for the first time in its life. im happy. my last neo2 wouldnt run any higher than 2500.

Click this text to view full size image *2560x1024*

overclockthumb.jpg

Slow down there, Valk! I would nevergive an A64 that kind of voltage running on air. I think 1.6 is absolute tops and that is with great air cooling and case airflow. It could very well be that chip is just not capable of hitting 2.7GHz with stability. Most Winchesters could not do it. There is nothing wrong with settling for something less. Little is gained by a few MHz.

I know heh. i just felt like playing around a little. 1.6 is about as much as i would run long term. sucks, this chip wont even do 2.5 stable on that though.

Valk said:
I know heh. i just felt like playing around a little. 1.6 is about as much as i would run long term. sucks, this chip wont even do 2.5 stable on that though.
That's not that unusual, although your Winnie is an earlier one from when the overclocks were better. Remember that even 2.4 is a 33% OC and that's really not too shabby.

Back