• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMBus for K7S5A ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deaste

I recently acquired a k7s5a v3.1 mb and installed a Sempron 2300+, which apparently can't be clocked higher than 1583Mhz. I have done the L5-2 mod so it now boots up as a mobile Athlon XP 1800+, and because I also flashed Honey-X 020429 bios (which is recommended as stable for the Elitegroup k7s5a v1.x/v3.x), it starts with a multiplier of 11 instead of 9.5. I currently have some pc133 sdram installed, a 256M generic stick and a 64M stick, they seem to be running fine. All seems well and I can even tweak the clock settings via the bios, from 133/133 to 138/138 which gets 1510MHz cpu speed. Even tried 143/143 which seems fine but doesn't survive a reboot. Core voltage is untouched at 1.6 and the cpu temp has so far not gotten higher than 37 with a "standard" HSF.
I have had other problems but, possibly from the video card which is a Geforce 2 MX440 64M AGP. I noticed when installing additional PCI cards, like a USB 2.0 card and a Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI that I would get post errors and beeps, and sometimes the post screen would be corrupt (characters everywhere). Shuffling the cards around would sometimes resolve this, only to have the problem return on rebooting. I want the USB 2.0 card because the onboard USB is 1.1 only, and issues with the onboard sound mean that I would prefer the ensoniq as an option (the AC'97 onboard sound drivers didn't work, nor did any c-media drivers I downloaded, despite the chip being clearly marked as a "cmi8738 PCI 6ch LX", SiS downloads provided a zip file for the Sis7012, which works after manually setting the i/o). The issues are that the onboard sound in some games goes into "chipmunk" mode - unfortunately the ensoniq has a problem with at least one other game i have tried, so I guess I haven't resolved the sound issue yet.
But one other thing is puzzling me - after disabling the legacy sound option for the ensoniq in my attempts to debug the sound system, windows pops up its driver install to tell me it needs to find a driver for "PCI System Management Bus". This device is currently set as an unknown device because I haven't been able to find any driver???

Back