• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major problems, need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xiode

Ok, I'm extremely ****ed off. I was just trying to play my daily share of World of Warcraft (ok, so I'm an addict), and my computer starts getting *** on me. Blue screens, specifically, and often times WoW would have a critical error and would exit. This has been going on for quite a while, but the problem really isn't that bad nor frequent, so I've put up with it thus far.

However, I'm about so mad I could spit nails right now. My computer has given me a blue screen no less than 10 times in the past hour (probably more), trying to get it to work. See, up until this point, the problem wasn't that frequent. I would get a random restart or error every so often... restart my computer, no big deal. It's weird though, the errors seem to happen all at one time. I can go a week with no problems, and then have several restarts all in one day, and then be fine again for another couple of days.

Now, though, it's not even working at all. After trying for around an hour and a half, changing settings in the BIOS, swapping RAM slots, removing a stick at a time... which all yielded no results. The problem isn't with my settings, I've gathered that much. I throttled the CPU all the way down to 235 x 9, tried every vdimm voltage from 2.6 to 2.9, and even increased vcore all the way to 1.52v at 235 x 9. However, none improved the situation.

A friend of mine was helping me find possible solutions way back when (when it wasn't nearly as big of a problem), and he suggested that maybe my power supply was overheating. However, once I got my computer down laying flat on the floor, I could see that the fans were working. CPU cooling really isn't an issue either, I have a SP-90 with a 92mm Tornado running full speed 24/7, and some Arctic Silver 5 in applied in between. The temps are fine, I guess it's just a hardware issue.

The thing that gets me is, I've had this hardware configuration for well over 5 months, and it really hasn't given me a problem (a big problem at least) until today. Now, when I try to boot it.... I hit power on, it comes alive... only, nothing comes on the screen and it just lets out several long, drawn out beeps. That can't be good.

I suppose I could try resetting the CMOS jumper, I forgot to try that. Anyone have an ideas to what the problem might be?

Do you think its really a hardware issue? If its bluescreens and errors, it's probably a windows issue, probably a corrupted file. I'd personally back everything up and give it a nice fresh windows install. I try to do one every 6 months or so...

scratch that, didnt read the last section. It would still be a good idea though...

count how many beeps there are, and google for the type of bios and the number of beeps, they're there to tell you what's wrong. I'd also recommend something like knoppix-std for the recovery tools included. (www.knoppix-std.org)

Last edited:
I just tried resetting the CMOS, to no avail. I tried both jumper JP1 and JP2, neither worked. I got the beeping to stop by inserting the other DIMM (either I was putting the single DIMM in the wrong slot or it doesn't like just a single DIMM). With both sticks in, there's no more beeping. Still, my system doesn't post. It powers on and sounds like it's working almost (except, I don't hear that initial BEEP right before it posts), but nothing comes on the screen.

Any ideas? :shrug:

odd, my next guess would be a video issue. try swapping in a cheap video card you have, maybe evn pci and seeing if it works?

I don't have any extra on hand. :( I sold my old Radeon 9800 Pro not too long ago when I bought my x850 XT PE.

ooh, thats no good? borrow one from a friend? and are you still getting any beeps before post? Because a friend's laptop did the exact same thing, the video card crapped out. That's just my two cents, see if you can borrow one to make sure?

Problem is, I don't have an extra on hand, nor do I know anyone that might have one that I could borrow. I'm only 15, and as you might guess, most of my friends don't know a single thing about computers, much less have an extra PCI-E video card that I could borrow. ;)

Anything else that I might try?

heh, I'm 15 too, no big deal. Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head, it sounds like a video issue (sorry!)

I'm 14 so na!

Can you use onboard video?

What's your power supply rated at (Watts), look in the BIOS' Pc Health Status screen at temps and ril voltages if you can get that far. If not, do you have a multimeter?

My PC acted like this when the PSU was dying.

n1nj4... who had laptop issues? wayne?

Also as ninja said google for the meaning to hte cmos beeps.
Are youre memory timings too tight? If they are not stock, try backing the timings off a bit.

Also when i had booting problems with a tornado i could barley hear the beeps, quiter cooling may help to understand the message in the beeps.

nah dude, ms blade actually. o_O
oh well, i fixed it and it garunteed me an A for the quarter in Psych

and stop bragging about that damned tornado, the motor generated more heat than the massive amount of airflow could help

I appreciate all the help guys! :)

However, I'm still at a loss of what to do, because I can't even get to the BIOS. I tried resetting the CMOS jumper but it didn't work. I power on, and see a black screen, that's it. :(

So like me and n1nj4 have our money set on ram timings or video card issues...

...and on a side note, it's not often that i feel old at 18 :beer:

Ok, I'll try and interpret the beeps.

Since I can't get into my BIOS though, can anyone tell me what BIOS 704-2BT uses?

Xiode said:
Ok, I'm extremely ****ed off. I was just trying to play my daily share of World of Warcraft (ok, so I'm an addict), and my computer starts getting *** on me. Blue screens, specifically, and often times WoW would have a critical error and would exit. This has been going on for quite a while, but the problem really isn't that bad nor frequent, so I've put up with it thus far.

However, I'm about so mad I could spit nails right now. My computer has given me a blue screen no less than 10 times in the past hour (probably more), trying to get it to work. See, up until this point, the problem wasn't that frequent. I would get a random restart or error every so often... restart my computer, no big deal. It's weird though, the errors seem to happen all at one time. I can go a week with no problems, and then have several restarts all in one day, and then be fine again for another couple of days.

Now, though, it's not even working at all. After trying for around an hour and a half, changing settings in the BIOS, swapping RAM slots, removing a stick at a time... which all yielded no results. The problem isn't with my settings, I've gathered that much. I throttled the CPU all the way down to 235 x 9, tried every vdimm voltage from 2.6 to 2.9, and even increased vcore all the way to 1.52v at 235 x 9. However, none improved the situation.

A friend of mine was helping me find possible solutions way back when (when it wasn't nearly as big of a problem), and he suggested that maybe my power supply was overheating. However, once I got my computer down laying flat on the floor, I could see that the fans were working. CPU cooling really isn't an issue either, I have a SP-90 with a 92mm Tornado running full speed 24/7, and some Arctic Silver 5 in applied in between. The temps are fine, I guess it's just a hardware issue.

The thing that gets me is, I've had this hardware configuration for well over 5 months, and it really hasn't given me a problem (a big problem at least) until today. Now, when I try to boot it.... I hit power on, it comes alive... only, nothing comes on the screen and it just lets out several long, drawn out beeps. That can't be good.

I suppose I could try resetting the CMOS jumper, I forgot to try that. Anyone have an ideas to what the problem might be?

Please check the caps. Bad caps can cause the same symptoms. If any cap is bulging, you have the dreaded bad cap problem!!! :eek:

This also includes having bad caps in a PSU.

Last edited:
Back