• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Custom volume control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

My speakers are built in to my monitor, so the only way I can turn the volume up/down is either with windows or in the monitor's osd. Both are really a pain, and I tend to change the volume a lot. So I wanted to know if there's a way to make a volume control. Just something simple. Headphone jack from monitor plugs into the device, device plugs into speaker jack on comp. Something simple with a dial that I can turn to adjust volume. I'll post a pic of what i mean in a bit.

I know there is a guide somewhere on the web for making a little USB dial for doing everything from scrolling to changing volume...no idea where tho

how good can monitor speakers be? It probably be easier just to get some stand alone speakers which you could adjust yourself.

Vio1 said:
how good can monitor speakers be? It probably be easier just to get some stand alone speakers which you could adjust yourself.
Yes but at the moment I don't have enough moment to buy a worthwhile speaker system, so I'd rather spend a little bit now to make what I have bearable.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...975&cp=&kw=headphone+volume&parentPage=search
Other stores might have them. YOu can basically make youre own by adding a rheostat to the cable.
PotHookup.txt

Two other options,
Sony headphones are reasonably priced and often have a volume control in the line. They are set up like Capn's diagram.

Soundblaster Live sound cards have a set of pins you can make a simple device to change the output on the card itself. Later models may have them too.
It's a single row of 4 pins, much like the pins that you plug USB headers to.
Your sig doesn't specify what you're using for sound output.

I think the easiest thing would just be to go to radioshack, grab a switch, and solder it together. Wont look TOO pretty, but it'll get the job done.

Captain Slug said:
For stereo you would need a dual rheostat.
Got a link to one? And where can I get the jacks for headphones?

The Griffin Powermate is very nice, and can be used for more than just volume control (totally configurable)
Maybe you could pick up a cheap one on ebay. It will pulse if you have new email. Very fancy.
Could you set up hot keys on your keyboard to change volume for you?
Ten bucks says that you can find a utility to do hotkeys for you :)

That's too short to get onto my desk. I want something beefy.

Back