• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sli'd 7800gtx or single 512mb gtx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatR

ok .. i currently have a bfg 7800gtx .. and i have a dell 2405 .. so i have to game at 1920x1200 .. right now .. in cs source i can run max everything and still hit like 70-90 fps ..

but not in fear .. q4 i can but i get like 30fps which is crap .. i like playing with all the eye candy up ..

since the 512mb gtx's are gonna hit next monday .. my question is .. since people are gonna be selling off their 256gtxs .. should i just pick up another one for a decent price .. or sell my current card and add in another 200 or so for a 512mb gtx .. ?

will sli'd 256 gtx's be able to play at 1920x1200 with all the eye candy up on most of the games ? i mean it seems like dual 7800gts are able to ?

what do you guys think ?

I run dual XFX 7800 GTs and i can run quake 4 max everything at 1600x1200 at 60 FPS without any dip. I keep AA at 2x, if I do more i get some dipping. I have a 3700+ OCed to 2.8Ghz. Make sure you have a decent processor running at least this fast though. If i OC any less i get occasional stutter. Oh and my 7800s are stock speed.... 450/1050 i think.

the price of used gtx's are gonna fall alot .. since tons of people are gonna be dumping theirs for the 600 dollar 512mb gtx ..

i need high res gaming with max everything .. from my understanding .. dual gtx's in sli with outperform a single 512mb gtx ..

so im not sure what i wanna do yet ..

i wish i could ditch my bfg gtx for the leadtek xtreme one

i would be compelled to say that picking up a cheap gtx would be the ticket............i mean that will perform better then a single 512 version.....i think it would be a total waste 2 sell ur current card just to buy it back with some more ram which isnt really even the bottle neck 2 begin with........i mean i guess someone would say that with 512 ram u can run "ultra settings" but it will still lag at that res..............

good luck

yeah i know ..
as for cpu bottleneck .. im running an opty 150 @ 2.95 or a little over 3ghz

i really dont want my bfg .. i would run dual leadtek xtreme editions cuz i love that cooler ..

madhatR said:
yeah i know ..
as for cpu bottleneck .. im running an opty 150 @ 2.95 or a little over 3ghz

i really dont want my bfg .. i would run dual leadtek xtreme editions cuz i love that cooler ..
well it will be quite a rig............

Burninate said:
I run dual XFX 7800 GTs and i can run quake 4 max everything at 1600x1200 at 60 FPS without any dip. I keep AA at 2x, if I do more i get some dipping. I have a 3700+ OCed to 2.8Ghz. Make sure you have a decent processor running at least this fast though. If i OC any less i get occasional stutter. Oh and my 7800s are stock speed.... 450/1050 i think.
i agree. I run 4x and see nothing. You should try that.

ok im not really happy with my bfg card .. so here is my options ..

sell the bfg card .. and i have somone i know who will sell me 2 sealed evga ko editions for 700 ..

so i could get like 400 for my bfg .. and i would only have to put out 300 ..

or i could just wait and get another bfg card ??

or i could sell the bfg and wait and i would have to put out another like 250 for a 512mb gtx ?

the ko's are clocked higher then my bfg ..

madhatR, why don't you wait a little bit to see the benchmarks of the newer 512mb version 7800. Then you can see if it's better to have the 512mb or not. I feel like 2x7800 is overkill.

well i only have a single bfg right now .. and it struggles at 1920x1200 with everything maxxed .. most of the time i cant run it that high ..

i doubt the 512mb one will be able to do that either ..

3DFlyer said:
dual 7800GTX 512's...why go halfway? :)

because that will be like 1300 dollars ..

while just another bfg card will be like 350 .. ive already seen a bunch for that .. but they all have different coolers and crap .. i want a 100% stock one ..

madhatR said:
well i only have a single bfg right now .. and it struggles at 1920x1200 with everything maxxed .. most of the time i cant run it that high ..

i doubt the 512mb one will be able to do that either ..
Honestly dude... I think the 512mb can make a big difference. Usually, you won't see the aid of more vram until you push for a higher resolution, and in your case that's where you're laggin, right?

fear crawls at that resolution with everything maxxed no soft shadows ..

q4 is playable .. about 40fps maybe .. with 4x/16x and ultra quality ..

i really want sli .. i guess i can sell this bfg put in the difference for a 512 one and then for my xmas or my bday coming up i can get another and be set

Have you found out how the 512mb X1800XT does in those games? That may give you a feel of how much advantage the 512mb may give you. I suggest you take a look... don't act too fast, man... you may regret it, especially with the amount of cash this stuff is.

i guess ill have to wait until monday when they get released and the NDA is lifted so everyone who has them can start showing results

i'm in the same situation ...albeit i have 2 6800GT's in SLI instead of 1 7800 GTX.

1 512mb monster or SLI 256mb GTX is the question

from the benches the SLI outperforms the single 512 GTX by about 20%+ sometimes 30% and only costs a little bit more.......is it just me or is this a no brainer????

i'm not terrible concerned by the memory ....i saw a couple of reviews where they clocked the 512 GTX down to the 256 GTX speed and framerates were almost identical so i'm not convinced anything needs 512 framebuffer right now unless someone can show me otherwise.

yes but what if (no sorry, when) the 2*256s dont cut it? then youre screwed and have to do an entire spend up on gfx.. whereas if you get 1*512 and when it doesnt cut it, get another? lol not much of a 'no brainer' im afraid

Careface*

Back