• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which GFX card is good for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aao_pwner

Hey,

Ive posted about this before, but now that the prices have gone down and there are more cards out, im going to ask the same question, also, i had the wrong card model lol.

I have a BFG Asylum GeForce FX 5200, and I was wondering:

1. What are you guyses reviews on the card I have now.

2. What can I do to my current card to make it perform better as far as overclocking without breaking the thing.

3. What card do you think I should get, if I were to buy a new one.

Thankyou,

aao_pwner

1. entry-level card, wouldn't play newer games well
2. nothing that will make enough of a difference, try coolbits overclocking utility and maybe blow a fan on it, change the heatsink, anything to cool it
3. what price range?, i'd get a 6600GT but i'm cheap

Last edited:
I'm in a similar position. Currently using an MX4000. My reason for switching is that I will need more resolution for the LCD that I will get soon. A 6200 would work, although the 6600GT prices are becoming quite attractive.

For the OP I suggest an eVGA 6800GS since at ~200 bux from newegg it will give you a 6800GT performance. Just make sure your powersupply is good.

For the guy only seeking better LCD... I suggest the Gigabyte 6600 256mb Passive Cooled out for about 125bux.

Gratz on whatever card you both end up with.

hooflung said:
For the OP I suggest an eVGA 6800GS since at ~200 bux from newegg it will give you a 6800GT performance. Just make sure your powersupply is good.

For the guy only seeking better LCD... I suggest the Gigabyte 6600 256mb Passive Cooled out for about 125bux.

Gratz on whatever card you both end up with.

I have a kilowatt of power, getting ready to get another motherbaord and stuff, People tell me how my setup will be... heres what im thinking of, as far as gfx card, motherboard and processor, i am using the other stuff from the computer im using right now.

A8N-SLI Motherboard (90$s from newegg refurbashed or whatever)
AMD Athalon 64 3200+ or 3500+ (suggest which processor guys)
and the nVidia 6800 GT or GTX (also suggest what would be good for this setup)

A kilowatt of power? Is that like 1000W? The only PSU I can think of would be that new PCP&C 1000W one...Anyways..

There is no 6800GTX, I think you mean the 7800GT and 7800GTX, running at about $330 and $450 respectively.

I'd suggest the 3200+ over the 3500+, mainly because their both pretty much the same, and both clocks to the same max speeds on air, 2.7ghz.

Get the 7800GTX if you have a monitor that can support 1600x1200, get the 7800GT if it doesn't. The 7800GT might be a tad too expensive, so the 6800GT should be alright too.

darksparkz said:
A kilowatt of power? Is that like 1000W? The only PSU I can think of would be that new PCP&C 1000W one...Anyways..

There is no 6800GTX, I think you mean the 7800GT and 7800GTX, running at about $330 and $450 respectively.

I'd suggest the 3200+ over the 3500+, mainly because their both pretty much the same, and both clocks to the same max speeds on air, 2.7ghz.

Get the 7800GTX if you have a monitor that can support 1600x1200, get the 7800GT if it doesn't. The 7800GT might be a tad too expensive, so the 6800GT should be alright too.

Justto make sure, im not a motherbaord or CPU person, the A8N-SLI is a 939 socket right?

Yes that board is 939. watch out those refurbs usually come with no drivers or extras, so you might want to download the drivers before you install every thing.

As far as cards go what is your budget? are you sure you have 1000 watt power supply, what brand or model is it

cruzinmitsu said:
Yes that board is 939. watch out those refurbs usually come with no drivers or extras, so you might want to download the drivers before you install every thing.

As far as cards go what is your budget? are you sure you have 1000 watt power supply, what brand or model is it

not really much acully, i got the psu for my birthday because i needed one for SLI, i just now need to get a motherboard and a processor to go with it, my budget is pretty low though...

like, total... i want to spend 300-400$s on the motherboard and processor and like 100-300$s on the graphics card

I'm only doing a processor, motherboard and graphics card upgrade so, im open to thoes suggestions and not thoes about RAM and HDDs

http://store.ultraspec.us/mapepstu1kw.html

^ ^ ^ I think thats where they got the PSU

aao_pwner said:
not really much acully, i got the psu for my birthday because i needed one for SLI, i just now need to get a motherboard and a processor to go with it, my budget is pretty low though...

like, total... i want to spend 300-400$s on the motherboard and processor and like 100-300$s on the graphics card

I'm only doing a processor, motherboard and graphics card upgrade so, im open to thoes suggestions and not thoes about RAM and HDDs

http://store.ultraspec.us/mapepstu1kw.html

^ ^ ^ I think thats where they got the PSU
For motherboard and processor, I'd get the non-refurbished model of that motherboard and an Athlon 64 3200+. For the graphics card I say get the 6800GS, you can get it at Newegg for under $210.

Without knowing all of your current specs to tell what would be able to be used in this updated motherboard. Such as ram ect...

I recommend the following

Processor Amd 64 3200+ (socket 939)
1gig of Corsair DDR 400 value ram
Asus A8N Sli Motherboard
6800gs or 7800gt
550w Antec Truepower Sli PSU

Price for just cpu, motherboard and 6800gs = $491

Price for just cpu, motherboard and 7800gt = $662

Price for ram,mobo,cpu,6800gs,and psu = $660

Price for ram,mobo,cpu,7800gt,and psu = $791

With Sli I would recommend you not to skimp on getting a good PSU!

Here are some rough estimates for you. I hope they will help you decide.

Last edited:
Back