• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 6600 GT Worries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordsierra4x4

A few months ago I upgraded from my Radeon 9700 to an AGP GeForce 6600GT (It's the Gigabyte model, should that make a difference). When I first got it, the Idle/2D temps were around 45 to 48 degrees. Now though, It won't overclock past 510Mhz without artefacting, and when firing up the temperature monitor, I can see why. Even with the fan going at full pelt, it's hitting 63 degrees while I do little more than use Firefox and mIRC.

I took the card out, blew what dust there was out of the heatsink, took it off and checked the die underneath. There was still heatsink compound on there (regular white stuff that I replaced the 'frag-tape' with), and it seemed to be making decent enough contact with the heatsink, but those springy 'barb' things that hold it on dont seem to be very strong. I just booted back into windows and its STILL hitting 62/63 degrees - whats wrong?!

I can't afford another one if this fails!

I have the same card as you, but I replaced the cooler with a Logisys all copper cooler. I would idle at about 52C and load would be as much as 72+C.

Now after applying the new cooler I idle at 48C and load at 66C with an oc of 575/1180.

The gigabyte cooling solution really sucks, that goo in between the hs and core doesn't even seem to do anything. If I were you I would really buy an aftermarket cooler and slap some AS5 on it.

Well reseating the Heatsink would be a great idea, if only the 'tangs' that exist held it in place better. There must surely be something short of a screw/bolt that'll hold it down better :(

Right - well, the card has been getting even hotter, as the springy things have gotten more and more lax, even cleaning the fan out, cleaning both surfaces with rubbing alcohol and using fresh heatsink compound - i'm now hitting 80*c in games, and getting artefacting. At stock 2d settings, it's now upto about 66*c.

I've had a look at the hefty heatsink from Stasis Thermal that i've vowed to buy myself after christmas (when i have money), which should solve the problem. In the meantime though - does anyone have anymore ideas or suggestions so i can keep the card at least working until then?! :D

Cheers and TIA

Consider yourself lucky. I believe I'm having a similar problem.

My Gigabyte 6600GT is 70 Degrees C while IDLE. It frequently hits 110+ in games. Unfortunately it's such a cheap card I don't even know if it's worth my money to buy a better cooling solution. I'll probably just run it until it fries and buy something else.

Edit: Our setups are almost identical.
I have a venice 3500 250X10 4HTT
2X512 Corsair PC3200 2.5 3 3 5 5/6 divider
MSI K8N Neo2
Gigabyte 6600GT

I'm just annoyed that the temperature keeps rising irrespective of everything i've tried. For you it might be a *cheap* card, but put that into perspective - i'm a student - and dont have a lot of money to drop on new graphics cards in case the one i'm using goes *bang*. If I can't find some washers or plastic screws or something in B&Q on sunday, then i'll get the heatsink from Stasis Thermal in January assuming my debit card can handle it!

Ooookay then - update!

I've managed to go to B&Q - bought some 3mm machine screws with nuts on - and they worked perfectly with a pair of rubber grommets from halfords wiring bin, and although the temps are lower - they're not much lower. At regular 2D settings, the lowest i've seen it is 56*c although after being on a while. It settles down at about 60/61*c.

Thing is - the more I tighten the screws - the more the board seems to bend and warp - which cant be a good thing. I'm using fresh thermal paste, and i think i'm using the right amount - it's only just created a 'squidgy square' on the heatsink where the excess has dribbled out...

Any ideas?

Why not get a good quality heatsink and use an adhesive like AS Alumina? I've never have a problem with this. Although, you can't easily (if ever) change your mind.

An Adhesive? Eeek - sounds a little scary to me!

I've tightened the nuts by 2 turns until the board looks like its just about to flex, cleaned the die, applied some more HS compound and it makes.....no difference. I swear the fan needs to spin faster, or something...

I had been thinking of getting the STASIS Thermal 6600GT AGP cooler - but its pretty expensive, and i'm going PCI-e soon anyway, just want this card to last until then really!!

Back