• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have a spare $26,000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I think I've almost found my dream system.

1x TYAN TRANSPORT VX50 B4881 ($4050.20)
8x OPTERON (880) 2.4GHz Dual Core ($22,204.80)
(and miscelaneous other stuff like HDs, video card, etc)

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Based off two Opteron 850 systems in Berkeley's "Top Hosts" list, this 16 core system should easily do 6200-7200 credits/day (~300 WUs/day :eek: ). Too bad SETI won't pass out more than 100 any day...

The two things that makes this only "almost" my dream system is the fact that I don't think it can run SLI, and that I'd have to shell out more for the OS (since I doubt XP Pro can use 16 processors, and Linux just dosen't have the gaming support... though at this price, what's a little extra spent on the OS??). It has two physical PCI-Express 16x slots (absolutely amazing for a server board!), but one of them is only a 4x electrically. I guess I'd just have to settle for only 1 7800GTX :rolleyes: :D

JigPu

Last edited:
Well, with the overhead maybe you can just get a decent terminal server client.....maybe a AMD64 X2 chip and a nForce4 for cheap after buying the other hardware from the same vendor :D :burn: :D

Oh no, it holds eight of them :cool:
Processor Compatibility
• Support four or eight AMD Opteron™
800 series processors
(it uses the quad Opteron Tyan Thunder K8QW motherboard and the Thunder's quad Opteron Tyan M4881 daughterboard as well :D)

And a terminal server probably would be nice... :D
JigPu

Dk Jedi Allianc said:
hmm I believe that´s 100 per CPU per day... :rolleyes:
Yes its 100 per CPU, since I have 130 Seti WUs cached on my P4 rig + 2 HADsm3 climates ( Boinc thinks it has 2CPUs because of HT).

OMG......but how much power would you need to power this monster......you'll be needing two bad boys daisy chainned to power this server......adding to the cost of 8 CPU's, the mobo, the daugther board and at least 8 registered RAMS you'll have to have a 1,000 kW PSU or more. :burn:

Well after this purchase, I'll ask the vendor for a free nForce 4 mobo, a AMD 64 X2 4000+ and two nVidia 7800 Ultra vidcard as atoken of goodwill :D

If you ran into work unit limitations with the send out rules... think about emulators?... IE emulate how ever many virtual mechines you'd need? - this rig would handle it in spades

Back