• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron 2600+ @ 2.4ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

I finally managed to get the ball rolling with my overclocking. I own a Shuttle SN85G4 V3, which is the socket 754 platform NF3-250 mobo. I am running Corsair Value Select 1 gig kit.

I am still just testing everything out to get a feel for how far I can go. If I drop my HTT down to 3x I can make it to 2.4ghz, but I have to drop my memory down to 133. But all is well as I still end up overclocking back to the stock speeds of my PC3200.

This screeny was taken after 7 hours of constant SuperPi running. But I ended up closing it down and firing up Prime95 for the shot. :(

Now if anyone has any tips on how to get myself even faster I am all ears. I had to bump my chipset voltage to 1.9v so the stock heatsink is hot hot hot. I am looking at buying a Zalman chipset heatsink to put on there.

wowza2.JPG

Thats a pretty good one for a Sempron! Awesome job. Crack up the voltage when you get that new heatsink! I bet you could get 2.6GHz with 1.5v

just place a 80 fan over this bridge
to get faster i think u should bump a bit the vcore.
800mhz of oc with stock vcore is :)
give this bayby more volt and it will clock faster.
another question is your mobo not able to do 300htt with stock volt ??
as i know all nforce mobo do 300+ with chipset voltage stock

I put your theory to the test, and I can do 300HTT at stock voltage with the chipset.

I am putting 1.48v through my core and I can break that 2.5ghz barrier. I am not sure how much more volts to pour into this thing safely.

form a personnel read 1.6 sould be realy the max for air cooled solution
1.65 for watercooling 35cload and lower
1.7 for extreme cooling
i have seen alot of people going to 1.7 with air cooling but this is 0.09 cpu so to stay safe just do not go over 1.6v air cooled

Well 1.6v is getting me no where. I have to get some sort of better cooling for this chipset otherwise I am at a plateau.

Hey Turd, good to see there is someone else out there taking advantage of these Semprons. I've been experimenting with a "Palmero" cpu myself, in a gigabyte mobo w/ a nForce 250 chipset also. Mine is plateau-ing at 2550MHz; high HTT-low multi, low HTT-high multi, it doesn't matter. It's on stock cooling, but the temps aren't limiting it. I was kinda dissapointed after seeing what some of the guys over at DFI street were getting. But hey, guess if I want those kinda clocks I need to buy the good mobo eh? 2.7 is pretty awesome there, nice suicide screenie. What's your HTT multi at? And please let us know how the northbridge cooling works for you. Mine is only passivly cooled for now, and because of that, I'm pretty nervous about adding anymore juice to it. GL with the new toy, I know I'm going to be watching.

NICE clocks man, in that first pic, where did you get the them for the windows start bar. Can you give me a link and tell me how to install it. I always mess up.

congrats, 2.7 is good for a sempy. i saw newegg is offering one of those chips free with a biostar SFF. it sounds tempting.

I saw that today too ! I'm getting a 2800+ for christmas :) Cant wait to see what this baby will do :D

lee1026 said:
all of you are really lucky. I am struck with this miserable thing:

Good god! I minus will stay with my socket A setup if it's gonna require 1.85V or higher. :(

What is the stepping code of the lousy OC'er?

I got the 2.4 ghz for a 2600 as well with the ram at 333 speeds and ht at 3x with 1.4 vcore. Unfortunatly the mobo that i have limits me to a fsb of 300 and won't allow voltage ajustments.

A lot of 2600s & 2800s can do even better on an NForce4 based board. I found that on NForce3 boards I was limited in HTT & couldn't get anything over 2.4GHz. I plopped my chip into my Infinity & zoom zoom zoom, 2.7GHz. 2.8GHz is getting more & more stable with each burn in cycle I'm doing :).

Gave my old sempy 2800+ to the wife. She flies through photoshop @ 2.4. Its on a gigabyte gak8kns nf3 250 (I think) and it doesnt like to go much over 300htt. NF3 is not as stable over 300htt as NF4. The palermo core is by far the best value for the money of any cpu. If I was still on a single core machine I would go back to the sempron.

hmmm dont know what you guys are talking about the NB being the limitation. My sempron 2800 hits 2.7ghz no problem. Northbridge never goes over 30c and doesnt need more voltage.

I use an MSI K8N Neo Platinum (nforce 3 250gb)...They even let you go up to 450mhz on the HTT. I keep my 2800 at 2.52 because I use pc3200 and going higher would make me have to put it down to like 340mhz.

Back