• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx-57 question ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bboyfobulous

okae....i've been wanting to upgrade my CPU for a while now... the FX-57 has been the #1 bad boy for s939 for sometime.... so here's the question... is this the last FX- CPU for 939's ???? i wanted to wait to see if there was going to be some other addition like a s939 FX-59 or 60 ...but it doesn't seem like there's going to be one ... anyone care to enlighten me on the subject ??

I think their releasing one final skt939 FX chip, either 59 or 60, and it's supposed to be clocked at 3.0ghz, not too sure if there are any other differences though.

It's not 100% true that FX-57 is the best skt939 CPU. Many, many, many, can argue that the X2s are much better then the FXs. The FXs may be a good choice if you game 95% of the time, and don't burn DVD/CDs or do much anything else too often.

Plus X2s have shown improvement with the 80 series forceware drivers, it'll eventually get better pretty soon. The X2 4400+ has been shown to be able to keep up with the 3700+ in gaming, so I doubt the FXs would be too far.

darksparkz said:
I think their releasing one final skt939 FX chip, either 59 or 60, and it's supposed to be clocked at 3.0ghz, not too sure if there are any other differences though.

It's not 100% true that FX-57 is the best skt939 CPU. Many, many, many, can argue that the X2s are much better then the FXs. The FXs may be a good choice if you game 95% of the time, and don't burn DVD/CDs or do much anything else too often.

Plus X2s have shown improvement with the 80 series forceware drivers, it'll eventually get better pretty soon. The X2 4400+ has been shown to be able to keep up with the 3700+ in gaming, so I doubt the FXs would be too far.

Well i have a laptop for basic computing stuff and my desktop rig for strickly gaming .... so i really want an FX (which was designed pretty much for gaming) .... I doubt i'll get a dual core unless they come out with a 939 dual core FX :drool:

bboyfobulous said:
Well i have a laptop for basic computing stuff and my desktop rig for strickly gaming .... so i really want an FX (which was designed pretty much for gaming) .... I doubt i'll get a dual core unless they come out with a 939 dual core FX :drool:
you can get the opteron dual core 939 and oc the them. its almost a 2x fx core

Just because it's FX doesn't mean anything. They just run higher frequencies at stock.

The highest end AMD dual core, the X2 4800+, runs at 2.4GHz stock. If an FX dual core came anytime soon, it would simply be 2.6GHz stock. That's it; 200MHz faster. And you could make up the difference by overclocking the X2 4800+.

Not to mention you can overclock a single-cored Socket939 Opteron past FX-57 speeds. And it will cost $500 less. And it will be faster.

EDIT: See this thread. That's a dual-core Opteron at 3GHz per core. A FX-57 operates at 2.8GHz stock. And what ixtapalapaquetl has is 2x 3GHz. That's 2x FX-57s operating 200MHz faster each. It would blow away a single FX-57. For $400 less.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120342
versus
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120301

Last edited:
so then why is the FX processors so expensive ??? it can't be JUST because of the name...and 200MHz doesn't make sense to charge that much ....anyway .....so these opteron CPU's do pretty well in gaming ???

EDIT: also, how do they fare in OC'in ?????

Last edited:
bboyfobulous said:
so then why is the FX processors so expensive ??? it can't be JUST because of the name...and 200MHz doesn't make sense to charge that much ....anyway .....so these opteron CPU's do pretty well in gaming ???

EDIT: also, how do they fare in OC'in ?????
bragging rights and because they come with multipliers unlocked both ways, and most importantly they are supposed to be hand picked and still have overclocking headroom.

:D. Jk. On a serious note: I have the FX-57 and don't get me wrong it's an awesome CPU, especially when I overclocked this bad boy. I'm still a noob at gaming and overclocking and I use to be part of that boat of having money to blow on the CPU, cuz I wanted to the biggest and baddest (I have a "slight" gaming problem, lol). I guess it's all about the epenis thing. Anyways, I have seen many equal or EXCEED the FX-57 from other CPUs overclocked, specifically the opterons. I have just ordered an Opteron two days ago. IF this CPU equals or exceeds my current CPU (2.8ghz or more) when I overclock, then I'm selling this FX-57 soon. That's an extra $600-$700 or so in my pocket I can save for other computer upgrades (extra RAM, etc). You should consider looking into other CPU's and overclock them to FX speeds, specifically Opterons. Laterz,

i found out that my mobo (A8N-SLI Deluxe) does not support x2's ...so would they support the dual core opteron's ??? if not ...then are the single core opterons worth getting ?? cuz i can get a fx-57 and o/c the hell outta that thing

Yes, it will support it. You have to updated your bios to the latest bios in order to do so. Refer to this discussion related to your question: X2 Support

I hope this helps. Game on!

:bang head :bang head :shrug: :bang head :bang head
dengit ...still confused....
CPU Comparison
FX for gaming ...dual for over-all ..... want to spend ~$500 ..... I am a hardcore gamer !! to tha fullest ...what should I do if wanna get some hardcore gaming on ??

Here is how it goes:

FX57: 120fps in your game, 10 mintes to encode X video, game will drop down to 40fps when you have X program running in the background (I dunno, compressing a file, creating a dvd?).

Dual core Opty: 116fps in your game, 6 minutes to encode X video, game drops to *maybe* 114fps worst case scenario with X program running in the background. Plus, the opteron will be almost garunteed to overclock to FX speeds. Is the FX worth it?

EDIT: Just saw this link in another thread:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/athlon64-x2/index.x?pg=1

The reason why their so much more expensive is because their pretty much the "trademark" of AMD, well maybe not anymore siince the X2s came out. But they also are great OCers because of their unlocked multipliers, if you using air cooling, you probably won't get too far, maybe around 3.0ghz or so. But if you stick some extreme cooling, you can get some real nice clock speeds on them.

I saw a few reviews showing that the X2 4200+ is pretty close to the FX-55 in gaming, its only a bit under by less then 10fps. So I'm assuming that with the extra cache in the X2 4400+/4800+, the X2s should be on par with the FX-57 in gaming, if not maybe less then 10fps below.

darksparkz said:
The reason why their so much more expensive is because their pretty much the "trademark" of AMD, well maybe not anymore siince the X2s came out. But they also are great OCers because of their unlocked multipliers, if you using air cooling, you probably won't get too far, maybe around 3.0ghz or so. But if you stick some extreme cooling, you can get some real nice clock speeds on them.

I saw a few reviews showing that the X2 4200+ is pretty close to the FX-55 in gaming, its only a bit under by less then 10fps. So I'm assuming that with the extra cache in the X2 4400+/4800+, the X2s should be on par with the FX-57 in gaming, if not maybe less then 10fps below.

10fps slower at what fps? Using what card?

Back